Skip to Main Content

MLB Player News

  • Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy (hamstring) to miss 4-6 weeks

    The Brewers announced Wednesday that All-Star catcher Jonathan Lucroy is expected to miss 4-6 weeks due to a mild strain of his right hamstring.

    Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash said Lucroy's agent called with the news of the injury, per the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. The injury is at the top of the leg, where it attaches to the hip. Ash added Lucroy mentioned some soreness in that area at end of 2014 season, but the team had no concerns about the injury at the time. Lucroy told MLB.com the injury flared up when he ramped up his running two weeks ago. Lucroy received a PRP injection Tuesday to help with the healing.

    Lucroy was examined Monday by Brewers head physician William Raasch, who initially diagnosed the injury. It was then confirmed Tuesday during a second opinion with Marlins medical director Dr. Lee Kaplan, per MLB.com.

    Ash said Lucroy can do some hitting, fielding and throwing while he recovers from the injury. He just can't run or perform any activities that might put serious strain on his hamstring.

    Ash said the Brewers are "very hopeful" Lucroy will be ready by opening day. Martin Maldonado is Lucroy's backup and catcher Juan Centeno is also on the 40-man roster. Brewers pitchers and catchers are expected to report for spring training Feb. 20. 

    This is an unfortunate setback for Lucroy, who is coming off his first All-Star season. He also finished fourth in the NL MVP voting and totaled a league-leading 53 doubles in 2014.

    Lucroy has been a very good offensive catcher since 2013. Over the last two seasons, he is batting .291 with a .357 on-base percentage, .460 slugging percentage and .817 OPS.

  • Carlos Ruiz C | SEA

    Freddy Galvis SS | PHI

    Cameron Rupp C | MIN

    Phillies GM Ruben Amaro might add shortstop, catcher during camp

    Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said he doesn't plan to add a veteran shortstop or catcher before spring training opens, per ESPN. However, he could add to the roster at both positions during camp.

    According to the depth chart on the team's official website, Carlos Ruiz remains the starting catcher and Cameron Rupp, who has played just 22 games at the major-league level, is his backup. Freddy Galvis is listed as the only shortstop in the wake of Jimmy Rollins' trade to Los Angeles.

  • Carlos Ruiz C | SEA

    Cameron Rupp C | MIN

    Phillies GM on catching situation: 'We're short there'

    The Phillies enter spring training with a severe lack of depth behind starting catcher Carlos Ruiz, who is 36 and could be trade bait to a contender at the July deadline, reports Philly.com. "We're short there," general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. admitted.

    Cameron Rupp is the current backup. He batted .183 in 60 at-bats last year.

    Tommy Joseph is the only other catcher on the 40-man roster. The highly-touted 23-year-old prospect is coming back from August wrist surgery and might start the season at Double-A. He took his first batting practice a couple weeks ago.

    “We’d be in trouble if Chooch goes down, so we have to continue to keep an eye on that,” Amaro said recently. “We’ve had some dialogue with some clubs about possible trades to add depth there, too. We’ll see. I think that may be something that gets more resolved in spring training than anything else.”

  • Travis d'Arnaud: Comfort played a big role in second half

    Mets catcher Travis d'Arnaud said being more comfortable at the plate helped him surge during the second half, according to the New York Post

    The 25-year-old got off to a slow start last season, hitting just .180 in his first 39 games. After a brief demotion, d'Arnaud returned and hit .272 for the rest of the year. When asked what changed, d'Arnaud said he wasn't "scared to go up to the plate anymore. "I wanted to be up at the plate in certain situations, and I felt so much more relaxed and free at the plate."

    D'Arnaud has been working out since December, and said his goal for 2015 is to stay healthy. "For me, it’s going to help me stay healthy and going into the season being the strongest I’ve ever been," d’Arnaud said.

    D'Arnaud hit .242/.302/.416 over 385 at-bats last year.

  • Padres' Yasmani Grandal willing to lose playing time to help team

    New Dodgers catcher Yasmani Grandal said Monday he is willing to allow time to be split between he and A.J. Ellis if it means the team wins more this season.

    "A.J. couldn't put it any better: He said, 'Whatever it takes to win,'" Grandal said. "If that day, A.J. is the man for the job behind the plate and we are going to get a win with A.J. behind the plate, that's going to be him. At the end of the day, if we get a ring, that's going to be a team win and we all have rings. Twenty years from now, I get to show that ring off and say, 'Hey, I won a World Series.'"

    Grandal, who hit .225 with 15 home runs and 49 RBI for the Padres in 2014, was traded to Los Angeles in the offseason in exchange for Matt Kemp among other players.

    "I think both teams got what they wanted," Grandal said. "The Dodgers were looking for a catcher. The Padres were looking for a big-time bat. That's what Kemp brought to the table and that's what I brought to the table."

  • Reds' Price 'realistically' targets Mesoraco to catch 145 games

    Reds manager Bryan Price indicated catcher Devin Mesoraco could see a lot more time behind the plate in 2015, per the Dayton Daily News. He appeared in 114 games in 2014, starting 109 at catcher.

    “I’ve been asked that question a lot about Mesoraco playing first base,” Price said. “How much would he play? Only if (Joey) Votto was injured. Realistically, I see him as a Yadier Moilina-type guy, who is going to catch 145 games a year, more so than I see him catching 110 a year and playing 20 or 30 at first base.

    “It stood out more last year because I linked up Johnny Cueto with (Brayan) Pena catching. I anticipate Mesoraco catching a lot more games this year, especially if he stays healthy. We won’t pair Pena with Cueto as much. Devin did a real nice job with Johnny the times he caught him.”

  • Reds agree to four-year, $28M extension with Devin Mesoraco

    The Reds agreed to a four-year, $28 million contract extension with catcher Devin Mesoraco, according to CBSSports.com Baseball Insider Jon Heyman. Mesoraco was in his first year of arbitration, so the deal covers all three years of arbitration and his first year of free agency.

    Mesoraco was a first-time All-Star in 2014, when he hit .273 with 25 doubles, 25 home runs and 80 RBI in 114 games. He has a career .245/.315/.432/.747 slash line in 289 games.

  • Reds, Devin Mesoraco swap arbitration figures

    Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco has filed for $3.6 million in aribtration, while the team has offered $2.45 million, CBSSports.com baseball insider Jon Heyman reports.

    Mesoraco is eligible for arbitration for the first time this offseason. He hit .273/.359/.534 with 25 home runs and 80 RBI in 384 at-bats in 2014.

  • Tuffy Gosewisch is front-runner to be D-Backs' starting catcher

    Diamondbacks general manager Dave Stewart confirmed once again to MLB.com on Thursday that the team's search for a catcher is over. The team will head to camp with Tuffy Gosewisch as the starter, Rule 5 pick Oscar Hernandez as the backup and prospect Pete O'Brien on the cusp of making the major-league roster.

    "We sat back and thought about it and talked to our guys internally, our coaching staff, and we're not going do to anything," Stewart said. "Tuffy Gosewisch has never had the opportunity to be a front-line guy, but we do know he's capable of handling the [pitching] staff. If we get some offense from him, it would be great.

    "The kid Hernandez we know, through our scouting reports, is a good catch-and-throw guy. And we're not expecting any offense from him. So if we get it, that would be great. But even more importantly, we think that Peter O'Brien is going to be ready. Our coaching staff says he has a chance to break with us from spring training. And if not spring training, we expect to see him by May or June."

  • Pirates, Chris Stewart avoid arbitration deadline

    Pirates catcher Chris Stewart avoided arbitration on Friday, agreeing to a $1,225,000 contract for 2015, according to CBSSports.com Baseball Insider Jon Heyman. He hit .294 with 10 RBI in 49 games last season for Pittsburgh.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola