MLB Player News

  • Juan Brito SS | CLE

    Guardians' Juan Brito: Could be long shot for 2B job

    Brito could be a long shot to win the Guardians' second-base job, Joe Noga of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

    Manager Stephen Vogt spoke to reporters recently, and when asked about the second-base job, mentioned Brito fifth among the five names he brought up as being in the competition, with Gabriel Arias, Tyler Freeman, Angel Martinez and Daniel Schneemann being the others. While it doesn't necessarily mean Brito is indeed a long shot for the gig, it could indicate he won't be at the top of the pecking order heading into camp. Brito is the only one in the group without major-league experience, although he is on the 40-man roster. The 23-year-old slashed .256/.365/.443 with 21 homers and 13 steals in 2024 at Triple-A Columbus.

  • Jacob Amaya SS | ARI

    Orioles' Jacob Amaya: Booted off 40-man roster

    The Orioles designated Amaya for assignment Monday, Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports.

    The transaction frees a 40-man roster spot for the signing of Dylan Carlson. Amaya was a waiver claim of the Orioles earlier this month and will now go through the waivers process again.

  • Zach Dezenzo SS | HOU

    Astros' Zach Dezenzo: Will play left field this spring

    Astros manager Joe Espada said Saturday at the team's FanFest event that Dezenzo will play a lot in left field during spring training, Chandler Rome of The Athletic reports.

    An infielder by trade, Dezenzo's experience in left field is limited, though he did start three games there last season at Triple-A Sugar Land and played eight games in the outfield in the Puerto Rican Winter League. Left field currently looks to be Dezenzo's best shot at playing time with the Astros, although that could change if Jose Altuve moves there to accommodate the signing of Alex Bregman.

  • Carlos Correa SS | HOU

    Twins' Carlos Correa: Ready for camp

    Correa declared himself ready for spring training Saturday after spending the first part of the offseason rehabbing from plantar fasciitis in his right foot, Dan Hayes of The Athletic reports.

    The 30-year-old played through the injury during the final weeks of the regular season, but he indicated his recovery and rehab this winter was "more natural" than the previous offseason, when he was working back from plantar fasciitis in his left foot. Correa had a .905 OPS in 2024 but was limited to 86 games due to the injury, and his durability remains a concern heading into 2025.

  • White Sox's Colson Montgomery: Expected to debut in 2025

    White Sox general manager Chris Getz said Thursday that he expects Montgomery to be the team's shortstop at some point this season, Scott Merkin of MLB.com reports.

    Getz was asked about the possibility of Montgomery cracking the Opening Day roster, of which he replied that the youngster would "get a lot of opportunity come spring training." Montgomery is on the 40-man roster, but a bit more seasoning in the minors seems likely after he slashed just .214/.329/.381 at Triple-A Charlotte in 2024. The shortstop turns 23 in February.

  • Livan Soto SS | BAL

    Orioles' Livan Soto: Remains in organization

    The Orioles outrighted Soto to Triple-A Norfolk on Friday, Jake Rill of MLB.com reports.

    Soto is no longer on Baltimore's 40-man roster but will remain in its organization. The utility infielder went 3-for-13 at the plate in 2024 between brief stints with the Reds and Orioles.

  • Jacob Amaya SS | ARI

    Orioles' Jacob Amaya: Claimed by Baltimore

    The Orioles claimed Amaya off waivers from the White Sox on Thursday.

    Amaya had been designated for assignment after slashing only .179/.225/.194 over 23 games for the White Sox down the stretch of the 2024 season. He is out of minor-league options, so Amaya will have to make the Orioles' Opening Day roster or go through waivers again.

  • David Hamilton 3B | MIL

    Red Sox's David Hamilton: Could be used in outfield

    Manager Alex Cora said Saturday that Hamilton may occasionally play in the outfield this season, Mac Cerullo of the Boston Herald reports.

    Cora added that the Red Sox would like Hamilton to be as versatile as possible for the sake of roster flexibility. The 27-year-old has been used exclusively at second base and shortstop throughout his MLB career, though he has started eight games in center field in the minors.

  • Livan Soto SS | BAL

    Orioles' Livan Soto: Booted from 40-man roster

    The Orioles designated Soto for assignment Friday.

    The transaction frees up a spot on the 40-man roster for Roansy Contreras, who was claimed off waivers. Soto saw spot duty in the majors in 2024 with the Reds and Orioles, going 3-for-13 at the plate.

  • Jeremy Pena SS | HOU

    Astros' Jeremy Pena: Set to make $4.1 million

    Pena agreed to a one-year, $4.1 million contract with the Astros to avoid arbitration Thursday, Ari Alexander of KPRC 2 Houston reports.

    Pena will receive a nice raise in his first year of arbitration eligibility after serving as Houston's primary shortstop since making his debut in 2022. The 27-year-old posted 15 home runs and 20 stolen bases with a .266/.308/.394 slash line over 157 games in the 2024 regular season.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola