Skip to Main Content

MLB Player News

  • Dan Jennings RP | WAS

    Marlins option two players to minors Wednesday

    The Marlins announced after Wednesday's game against the Cubs they optioned reliever Dan Jennings to Triple-A New Orleans and catcher Jacob Realmuto to Double-A Jacksonville. They replaced both players on the roster by recalling reliever Kevin Gregg and activating catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia (concussion) off the 15-day disabled list.

  • Travis d'Arnaud on verge of return to Mets

    Mets catcher Travis d'Arnaud has 38 at-bats at Triple-A Las Vegas in his rehab from a concussion that has sidelined him since June 6. That has led the team to declare to the New York Post that he will be back with the big league club "soon."

    d'Arnaud has been tearing it up at that level with a stat line of .395/.452/.868. He already has five home runs.

  • Christian Bethancourt not a big deal in Fantasy

    Even if the Braves are considering calling up Christian Bethancourt to play catcher, as MLB.com recently reported, all it would mean for Fantasy owners is an increase in Evan Gattis' playing time. True, with Gattis moving to left field, B.J. Upton would be out of a job, but it's not like anyone's still holding out hope for a rebound from him.

    Bethancourt is only a prospect because of his defense. He doesn't offer enough offensive potential to move the needle in Fantasy, particularly at a deep position. Even with a recent hot streak at Triple-A Gwinnett that has him batting .312 over his last 37 games, he's still batting just .274 with a .672 OPS overall. He did show so improvement with a .277 batting average and 12 home runs in 358 at-bats at Double-A Mississippi last year, but his step back this year shows his bat is still far from major league ready.

    Maybe he could put up numbers along the lines of a Tyler Flowers or, in a best-case scenario, a Welington Castillo, but that would make him no more than a desperation option in two-catcher leagues.

  • Braves considering making changes to lineup?

    With Braves catcher prospect Christian Bethancourt on a roll offensively at Triple-A Gwinnett, Atlanta has started toying with the idea of shaking up their lineup, according to MLB.com.

    The lineups moves would include moving catcher Evan Gattis to left field, Justin Upton to right field, Jason Heyward to center field and struggling outfielder B.J. Upton to the bench. The lineup changes would create an opening for Bethancourt to start at catcher.

    Bethancourt has always been lauded for his defense, but the 22-year-old catcher is beginning to improve offensively. He is batting .312 with a .764 OPS in his last 37 games at Triple-A.

    "We're hearing [Bethancourt] right now," Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "We're paying attention."

  • Devin Mesoraco trying to snap out of prolonged slump

    Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco tried to break out of his hitting slump Sunday at Milwaukee, going 3 for 5 with one RBI and one run. All three of his hits were singles.

    Mesoraco entered Sunday's game mired in a 4-for-33 slump in June and is batting .139 (10 for 72) in his last 21 games since collecting four hits May 18 at Philadelphia.

  • Travis d'Arnaud to receive 40-50 at-bats before big-league return

    Mets manager Terry Collins told reporters that he would like catcher Travis d'Arnaud to receive 40-50 at-bats before the team reconsiders bringing him back to the majors, MLB.com reports.

    "It's not going to happen in five or six days," Collins said. "I think he needs to be there a couple weeks. He needs to accumulate some at-bats."

  • Yasmani Grandal hits sixth home run Thursday

    Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal hit his sixth home run Thursday against the Phillies. 

    Grandal only had one hit during the game, but made it count. In the ninth inning, he clubbed a 95 mph fastball off Ken Giles for the solo shot. Grandal is hitting just .185 over 124 at-bats. 

  • Sandy Leon C | ATL

    Sandy Leon to join the Nationals

    Nationals catcher Sandy Leon will rejoin the major-league team after Wilson Ramos was placed on the disabled list, MLB.com reports.

    Leon spent some time with the Nationals earlier this season, hitting .182/.265/.273 with one home run and three RBI in 44 at-bats. He has hit .294/.390/.392 with six RBI in 51 at-bats with Triple-A Syracuse.

  • Mets option Travis d'Arnaud to Triple-A

    The Mets optioned catcher Travis d'Arnaud to Triple-A Las Vegas after Saturday's game, the team announced.

    The rookie catcher didn't play Saturday, but he was just 1 for 16 in six June games and only 3 for 26 with no extra-base hits since returning from the disabled list. He owns a .180/.271/.273 line with three home runs and nine RBI in 128 at-bats. He'll look to find his offensive game in favorable conditions in Triple-A.

  • Justin Bour, Jacob Realmuto impress in debuts

    The Marlins got big performances out of two rookies Thursday against the Rays, as catcher Jacob Realmuto and first baseman Justin Bour combined for four hits in their respective major-league debuts in an 11-6 win.

    Realmuto stood out, despite batting eighth in his first game. He drove in three runs with a 2-for-4 game, with one RBI single in the fourth and another in the sixth inning. Bour batted ahead of him and drove in one run of his own, while finishing the game 2 for 5. 

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola