MLB Player News
-
Osvaldo Bido RP | ATH
Athletics' Osvaldo Bido: Will start Tuesday
Athletics manager Mark Kotsay said that Bido will start Tuesday's game against the Tigers, Martin Gallegos of MLB.com reports.
Since being recalled from Triple-A Las Vegas on July 10, Bido has worked out of the bullpen, but he should be able to provide the Athletics with a decent amount of length Tuesday after he tossed three innings and 44 pitches in his most recent relief appearance this past Thursday against the Twins. Bido will be taking the hill for his 10th start of the season and will be joining the rotation as a replacement for Jack Perkins (shoulder), who was placed on the injured list last week.
-
Brant Hurter RP | DET
Tigers' Brant Hurter: Placed on minor-league IL
Tigers manager A.J. Hinch said that Hurter was placed on Triple-A Toledo's 7-day injured list Sunday due to lower back soreness, Chris McCosky of The Detroit News reports.
Hurter hasn't pitched since being sent down to Triple-A Toledo on Aug. 17, which is now understood to be the result of a back issue. The left-hander has posted a 2.45 ERA and 1.30 WHIP with 62 strikeouts over 58.2 innings in 38 appearances with the Tigers this season. Hurter is still likely to be a part of Detroit's major-league plans in September, so the team will take a cautious approach with him while he manages the back injury.
-
Jon Gray RP | TEX
Rangers' Jon Gray: Could pitch again in 2025
President of baseball operations Chris Young said Tuesday that the Rangers are optimistic that Gray (shoulder) is dealing with symptoms that are more consistent with the neurologic version of thoracic outlet syndrome rather than the more significant vascular version, which would expedite the right-hander's return to the mound, Evan Grant of The Dallas Morning News reports. "The primary symptoms normally are nerve-related," Young said of Gray's condition. "I don't want to put the cart before the horse because every patient is different. But our hope is that whatever it is, it's minor and, after 15 days, he'll be ready [to return from the injured list.] But we still have some diagnostics to get through before we have a clear idea on the prognosis."
The Rangers deactivated Gray on Aug. 17 due to right shoulder nerve irritation, though the team had an underlying concern that the 33-year-old would be lost for the season since the symptoms he was experiencing were consistent with thoracic outlet syndrome, which could necessitate surgery. Gray was scheduled to visit a vascular specialist in Dallas last week, and assuming the doctor's evaluation of the right-hander's condition aligns with the early assessment by the Rangers' medical team, Gray could be cleared to address his shoulder issue with treatments such as Botox injections, which would numb the nerve and enable him to return after missing close to the minimum 15 days. Prior to his recent placement on the IL, Gray had spent the first four months on the shelf while recovering from a fractured wrist. He rejoined the Rangers in late July as a reliever and had struggled to a 7.71 ERA and 1.50 WHIP in 14 innings over six appearances before the shoulder problem cropped up.
-
Jack Perkins RP | ATH
Athletics' Jack Perkins: No timetable for return
Perkins (shoulder) received a subacromial injection Monday and is without a timetable for a return, Martin Gallegos of MLB.com reports.
Perkins was placed on the 15-day injured list Friday due to a strained right shoulder, and the club is still uncertain as to how much time he'll miss. Whether he's able to pitch again this season should become more apparent when/if he's cleared to begin a throwing program. Osvaldo Bido is expected to replace Perkins in the rotation in Tuesday's game against the Tigers.
-
Justin Slaten RP | BOS
Red Sox's Justin Slaten: Activation imminent
Red Sox manager Alex Cora said Monday that Slaten (shoulder) probably won't require another rehab appearance before being activated from the 60-day injured list, Tim Healey of The Boston Globe reports.
Slaten has made three rehab appearances with Triple-A Worcester, yielding just one unearned run with a 5:1 K:BB over three innings. The reliever has been shelved since late May due to right shoulder inflammation.
-
Yimi Garcia RP | TOR
Blue Jays' Yimi Garcia: Seeking second opinion on elbow
Garcia is scheduled to meet with Dr. Keith Meister in the coming days to receive a second opinion on his right elbow injury, Arden Zwelling of Sportsnet.ca reports.
Garcia was placed on the injured list July 5 after experiencing nerve symptoms in his right elbow, and though he had been cleared to start throwing, the 35-year-old hasn't been bouncing back from his workouts as quickly as anticipated. The upcoming consultation with Dr. Meister should provide more insight into the nature of Garcia's injury as well as a treatment plan, but even if he receives good news from the meeting, the right-hander's return to the Toronto bullpen shouldn't be viewed as imminent.
-
Nick Sandlin RP | TOR
Blue Jays' Nick Sandlin: Hits snag in recovery process
Sandlin rejoined the Blue Jays in Toronto on Monday after he experienced some discomfort in his right elbow when he recently played catch out to 120 feet, Arden Zwelling of Sportsnet.ca reports.
The Blue Jays will reassess Sandlin before determining his next steps, but the organization is hopeful that his setback is a minor one that won't result in a prolonged shutdown from the throwing. The reliever has resided on the 15-day injured list since July 8 due to right elbow inflammation.
-
Sam Bachman RP | LAA
Angels' Sam Bachman: Back in majors
The Angels recalled Bachman from Triple-A Salt Lake on Monday.
Bachman has made 18 relief appearances for the Halos this season, putting up a 5.02 ERA and 13:6 K:BB over 14.1 innings. He might be on the active roster for only a few days after Tyler Anderson (personal) was placed on the paternity list in a corresponding transaction.
-
Fernando Cruz RP | NYY
Yankees' Fernando Cruz: Set for Tuesday activation
Cruz (oblique) said that he will be activated from the 15-day injured list Tuesday, Gary Phillips of the New York Daily News reports.
Yankees manager Aaron Boone said over the weekend that Cruz would be reinstated either Sunday or Monday, but the team now plans to wait and extra day before adding the reliever back to the 26-man active roster. Out since late June due to a left oblique strain, Cruz has posted a 3.00 ERA and 41.2 percent strikeout rate this season.