Skip to Main Content

MLB Player News

  • Travis d'Arnaud ready to take the 'next step' in career

    While Mets catcher Travis d'Arnaud impressed with his defense and ability to call a game upon his arrival to the majors last season, his offense was lacking. The rookie said he wasn't panicked, but transitioning to the majors was a challenge, according to the New York Daily News.

    "Anxious would probably be the right word for it," he said. "I was just trying to impress everyone. Every time I went up there, I was trying to hit a home run. I was trying to throw my hardest and hit my hardest to prove myself every time I got a chance. I was trying to prove myself and I just wasn’t myself."

    The offseason has been beneficial for d'Arnaud, who spent time in the offseason going back to the basics. The top prospect hit .286 with a .476 slugging percentage and .823 OPS in 515 minor-league games.

    "I simplified things, my swing, my approach," d’Arnaud said. "That’s my game, keeping things simple and easy. And I know I’ve got to keep things simple this season. I am feeling really good coming into camp and I am really excited for this season. I am ready to make that next step."

  • Opening day 'possible' for Yasmani Grandal

    Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal is just six months removed from knee surgery to reconstruct the ACL in his right knee, which is an injury that usually requires 9-12 months of rehab.

    Grandal has been optimistic about being ready for opening day, but the team has been more hesitant about projecting such a lofty goal. Well, it seems the Padres are changing their tune, according to U-T San Diego.

    "He says he feels good and he certainly looks good," general manager Josh Byrnes said of Grandal. "Opening day is possible for him. But that day simply starts a six or seven-month process. We have to hold him back somewhat during spring training even if he feels 100 percent. We will monitor him during spring training."

  • Padres' top two prospects among 18 non-roster invites

    The Padres announced Thursday 18 players received non-roster invites to spring training. Among the 18 players invited to spring training are catcher Austin Hedges and starting pitcher Matt Wisler, who are considered the team's top two prospects by Baseball America.

    Other top prospects receiving invites were shortstop Jace Peterson (No. 7) and starting pitcher Joe Ross (No. 10). 2011 first-round pick Cory Spangenberg was also on the list.

    The remaining players coming to camp as non-roster invites are Blaine Boyer, Leonel Campos, Anthony Carter, Dennis O'Grady, Adys Portillo, Kevin Quackenbush, Cody Decker, Alex Dickerson, Rico Noel, Daniel Robertson, Jonathan Galvez, Alberto Gonzalez and Xavier Nady.

  • Tucker Barnhart could be looking at 2014 MLB debut

    Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said Wednesday catcher prospect Tucker Barnhart will start the 2014 season at Triple-A, but added he wouldn't be surprised if Barnhart makes his MLB debut this year, according to Redlegs Radio Report.

    Barnhart is considered the Reds' 10th-best prospect by Baseball America. He has a career .262 average, .346 on-base percentage, .363 slugging percentage and .709 OPS through five minor-league seasons. His strength is defense, as he owns a career .992 fielding percentage and 42 percent caught-stealing rate.

  • Travis d'Arnaud aims to stay healthy, improve offensively

    Mets catcher Travis d'Arnaud is coming off a pretty disappointing debut in 2013 after developing into one of the top catcher prospects in baseball. d'Arnaud hit just .202 with one home run and five RBI in 31 games last season and hopes to have better results in 2014.

    "I want to improve obviously offensively," d'Arnaud told the New York Post. "Last year I didn’t do so well in the beginning of my debut, and I just want to go out there and take my singles and just try to make good contact, not do anything crazy."

    d'Arnaud posted a .476 slugging percentage and had one 20-homer season in the minors. Though, being a power hitter is not the first thing on his mind.

    "I mean, I’m not thinking homers, I’m just thinking get on base, drive in runs, and do whatever I can to help the team win," he said.

    As for his personal goals for '14, d'Arnaud just wants to stay on the diamond after two straight injury-plagued seasons.

    "My personal goal is to stay healthy all year, that’s my first one," he said. "My second one is to make the playoffs, and my third one is to become a better teammate and a better friend to all my teammates on my team."

  • Yasmani Grandal not likely to be ready for opening day

    According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal will probably start the 2014 season on the disabled list.

    Grandal had reconstructive surgery on his right knee last August, and he could need at least nine months to recover from the procedure.

  • Braves unwilling to meet price for Jeff Samardzija, David Price

    The Braves were unwilling to meet the Rays' asking price of pitcher Alex Wood, catcher Christian Bethancourt and at least two other top prospects to acquire David Price, nor were they willing to trade outfielders Justin Upton or Jason Heyward in a package for Cubs pitcher Jeff Samardzija, MLB.com reports.

    The Braves instead signed Gavin Floyd to a one-year deal rather than trade multiple significant pieces to acquire a proven ace. It appears to be a seller's market with regards to starting pitching that could potentially be traded this offseason.

  • Devin Mesoraco ready for bigger role

    With Ryan Hanigan traded to Tampa Bay, Devin Mesoraco is expected to take over as the Reds starting catcher in 2014 -- a role he tells the Cincinnati Enquirer he's ready to fill after splitting time with Hanigan the last two seasons.

    "I believe that I'm an everyday catcher in the big leagues I don't think I've quite played as good as I can," he said. "I think playing every day, getting all the reps, getting that at-bats, that's only going to help. We'll go from there. We'll go from there and I believe we're going in the right direction."

    Mesoraco, who was considered a top prospect when he first reached the majors in 2011, showed how he's capable of performing in an everyday role during a 22-game stretch that Ryan Hanigan missed with a wrist injury from early July to early August. Playing in 21 of those games, Mesoraco hit .286 with four homers and an .820 OPS in 70 at-bats.

    "It was right after the All-Star break that Hani went down, and I'm not going to say it had to do with playing every day, but I think my comfort level at that time, I felt [more] comfortable, it was like it was my job, my team, I could go out there and be the player I feel like I can," Mesoraco said.

  • Yankees deal Chris Stewart to Pirates

    MLB.com reports that the Yankees traded catcher Chris Stewart to the Pirates on Monday. In exchange, the Yankees will receive a player to be named later.

    Stewart was the Yankees' primary catcher in 2013, starting 97 games behind the plate while batting .211 with four home runs and 25 RBI. He will presumably be the backup to starting catcher Russell Martin.

  • O's acquire Johnny Monell from Giants

    The Giants have traded catcher Johnny Monell to the Orioles for cash considerations on Saturday, according to Comcast SportsNet Bay Area. Monell will likely compete for the team's backup job. He went .275/.364/.494 with 20 homers and 64 RBI last season in Triple-A Fresno.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola