MLB Player News
-
Sebastian Walcott SS | TEX
Rangers' Sebastian Walcott: Invited to spring training
The Rangers have extended Walcott an invitation to big-league camp during spring training, Shawn McFarland of The Dallas Morning News reports.
Walcott was in major-league camp for the Rangers last year, too, before being an early cut. He might stick around longer this year, but the young shortstop will again head back to the minors for the start of the 2026 campaign. Slated to turn 20 in March, Walcott slashed .255/.355/.386 with 13 home runs and 32 stolen bases over 124 games in 2025 at Double-A Frisco. Walcott isn't a finished product but has some of the highest fantasy upside of any position player in the minors.
-
Bryan Ramos 3B | BAL
White Sox's Bryan Ramos: Designated for assignment
The White Sox designated Ramos for assignment Thursday.
Ramos will give up his place on the 40-man roster to make room for Seranthony Dominguez, who officially signed with the team Thursday. Ramos has appeared in 36 games for the White Sox since making his MLB debut in 2024 and has slashed just .198/.244/.333 with three homers, 13 RBI and 14 runs scored across 119 plate appearances. He's still just 23 years old, however, so another team may be willing to claim the young infielder off waivers.
-
Braden Montgomery OF | CHW
White Sox's Braden Montgomery: Garners spring invite
The White Sox have extended Montgomery an invitation to big-league camp during spring training.
Fellow top prospects Noah Schultz and Hagen Smith will also be in major-league camp for the White Sox. All three are unlikely to make the Opening Day roster, but Montgomery could push to debut at some point in 2026, especially with Chicago's lack of outfield depth. The 22-year-old finished the 2025 campaign at Double-A Birmingham, putting up a .270/.360/.444 batting line with 12 home runs and 14 stolen bases across three stops.
-
Bailey Ober SP | MIN
Twins' Bailey Ober: Pitched through hip problems
Ober pitched through persistent hip issues last season, both before and after his IL trip in July, Matthew Leach of MLB.com reports. "I just never felt like I had a stable base throwing," Ober said. "It felt like my release was off almost every single throw. Sometimes I'd have 10 throws in a row where it felt great, and the next 10 are like, 'I don't know where this is going.' It was a sharp pain, and I didn't feel strong in my front leg to block."
Ober suggested at TwinsFest this past weekend that he has fully recovered from the injury this offseason. It's worth noting that even when he went on the IL and missed the month of July, the right-hander was never fully shut down, instead attacking the inflammation with medication while throwing on the side. It's difficult to buy into a complete turnaround given the depths of Ober's collapse last season, but it doesn't provide an explanation and some reason for optimism.
-
Gerrit Cole SP | NYY
Yankees' Gerrit Cole: No issues in rehab
General manager Brian Cashman said Wednesday that Cole hasn't experienced any setbacks during the offseason while rehabbing his surgically repaired elbow, Gary Phillips of the New York Daily News reports.
Cole sat out the entire 2025 campaign after undergoing a Tommy John procedure that included internal bracing in March. He began his throwing program in August but has already been ruled out for Opening Day by manager Aaron Boone. Cashman added that the plan is for Cole to report to the Yankees' facility in Florida soon, and if all goes well, the veteran righty may return to a big-league mound sometime in late May or early June.
-
Carlos Rodon SP | NYY
Yankees' Carlos Rodon: Progressing smoothly
General manager Brian Cashman said Wednesday that there haven't been any surprises so far in Rodon's (elbow) rehab, Gary Phillips of the New York Daily News reports.
Rodon finished the 2025 regular season with a 3.09 ERA and 1.05 WHIP across 195.1 innings -- all personal bests since he joined the Yankees in 2023. After struggling in the postseason (9.72 ERA), he underwent surgery to address a bone spur in his left elbow. He began a throwing program in December and has since reported to the team's facility in Florida. Barring any setbacks, the 33-year-old southpaw will likely make a few appearances in the Grapefruit League and aim to make his regular-season debut in late April or early May.
-
Leo De Vries SS | ATH
Athletics' Leo De Vries: Nets invite to spring training
The Athletics have extended De Vries an invitation to big-league spring training.
The Athletics also invited Jamie Arnold and Gage Jump, among others, to major-league camp. Acquired from the Padres in the trade that sent Mason Miller to San Diego, De Vries slashed .255/.355/.451 with 15 home runs, 11 stolen bases and a 66:107 BB:K over 118 games between the High-A and Double-A levels in 2025. De Vries' best production came after a late-season promotion to Double-A Midland, and he'll likely head back there to begin the 2026 season. Just 19 years old, De Vries is not a finished product but has some of the highest upside of any position player in the minors.
-
Jhonathan Diaz RP | SEA
Mariners' Jhonathan Diaz: Outrighted to Triple-A
The Mariners outrighted Diaz to Triple-A Tacoma on Wednesday.
Diaz was removed from the Mariners' 40-man roster last week but will remain in the organization after passing through waivers unclaimed. The left-hander has collected a 4.66 ERA and 33:27 K:BB over 46.1 frames covering parts of five seasons at the major-league level.
-
Aaron Judge RF | NYY
Yankees' Aaron Judge: No lingering elbow issues
Yankees manager Aaron Boone said Wednesday that Judge's right elbow is "doing really well" as the outfielder ramps up his throwing ahead of the World Baseball Classic, Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports.
Judge spent time on the injured list and was limited to serving as a designated hitter for a while during the second half of last season due to a flexor strain. He returned to the outfield in September and surgery was deemed unnecessary. At this point, there does not seem to be any worry from the Yankees or Judge that the reigning AL MVP's elbow issue will linger into 2026.
-
Wade Meckler CF | LAA
Angels' Wade Meckler: Booted from 40-man roster
The Angels designated Meckler for assignment Wednesday.
The Angels needed to free up a spot on their 40-man roster for the addition of waiver claim Kaleb Ort (elbow). Meckler was a waiver claim himself earlier this month and will now go through the waiver process again. He slashed .287/.390/.370 at Triple-A Sacramento in the Giants organization in 2025 but swatted only one home run over 87 contests.