MLB Player News
-
Rafael Devers 1B | SF
Red Sox's Rafael Devers: Participates in game
Devers made a late appearance in Thursday's intrasquad game, Ian Browne of MLB.com reports.
Devers awaited the results of a fourth COVID-19 test in the past few days before he was allowed to participate. He's been tested so frequently because the Red Sox believe he was exposed to someone with the virus. "I feel healthy," Devers said. "It was tough at first, not knowing if potentially I had it, but luckily I had those negative tests that were taken and also just focused on working hard." The 23-year-old third baseman had a breakout 2019 season, when he hit 32 home runs and drove in 115 runs over 156 games.
-
Rafael Devers 1B | SF
Red Sox's Rafael Devers: Rejoins main camp
Devers has rejoined the Red Sox at the main summer camp at Fenway Park on Wednesday after spending a couple of days training at Boston College, Ian Browne of MLB.com reports.
Red Sox manager Ron Roenicke explained the club was being careful with some players, including Devers, that were possibly exposed to individuals with the coronavirus. "This group has tested negative three times. We will continue to test them, just because we're being overly cautious. That's kind of why we've separated some of the guys from the later workouts," said Roenicke. The Red Sox took the necessary precautions to keep Devers safe while training at BC.
-
Alex Bregman 3B | CHC
Astros' Alex Bregman: Absent while awaiting test results
Bregman missed Wednesday's workout due to a delay in the processing of his COVID-19 test results, Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle reports.
Bregman is reportedly "fine" according to Rome, though the test result is "required" before he can join the Astros for workouts. So long as Bregman's test comes back negative, he should be back with the team sometime later in the week.
-
DJ LeMahieu 2B | NYY
Yankees' DJ LeMahieu: Moved to IL
The Yankees placed LeMahieu (illness) on the 10-day injured list Tuesday.
Pitcher Luis Cessa (illness) was also moved to the IL after both players were revealed last weekend to have tested positive for COVID-19. LeMahieu is said to be asymptomatic, but he'll still need to submit two negative test results before being able to rejoin the Yankees for summer-camp workouts.
-
Matt Reynolds 3B | CIN
Royals' Matt Reynolds: Heads to IL
The Royals placed Reynolds on the 10-day injured list Saturday due to an unspecified issue.
Reynolds was one of three Royals moved to the IL, with no explanation for any of the transactions provided by the team. Salvador Perez later told reporters Saturday that his placement on the IL was the result of a positive COVID-19 test, but neither Reynolds nor Meibrys Viloria has shed light on the nature of his absence. Reynolds had previously joined the Royals on a minor-league deal in November and attended spring training as a non-roster invitee, but Kansas City has since added him to the 40-man roster. Once he's deemed available, Reynolds could be in the mix for a utility infield role with the big club.
-
Jeimer Candelario 3B | LAA
Tigers' Jeimer Candelario: Ahead of Lugo in competition
Manager Ron Gardenhire suggested Monday that Candelario is the current leader in the competition for the Tigers' top third-base job, Cody Stavenhagen of The Athletic reports. "[Candelario] and [Lugo] are gonna continue the battle right here. We haven't made the final decision on that one yet. "Candy," I think, was probably doing a little bit better than [Lugo], but I like [Lugo] a lot."
Isaac Paredes and No. 1 overall draft pick Spencer Torkelson are also expected to be included in the competition, but since neither player has any prior MLB experience, Candelario and Lugo stand out as the clear frontrunners for the job. Candelario opened the 2019 campaign as the Tigers' top option at the position, but he largely struggled in his second full season with the club, slashing .203/.306/.337 with eight home runs in 386 plate appearances. Lugo received some work at third base when Candelario disappointed, but the former was marginally worse at the dish, posting a 65 wRC+ to Candelario's 72 wRC+.
-
Willians Astudillo 3B | MIA
Twins' Willians Astudillo: Shuttled to IL
The Twins placed Astudillo (illness) on the 10-day injured list Saturday.
The transaction was made shortly after the Twins announced that Astudillo and Sano were two of four players in the 60-man player pool who tested positive for COVID-19 as part of the intake process at the team's summer camp. Before Astudillo -- who is believed to be asymptomatic, per Do-Hyoung Park of MLB.com -- is eligible to rejoin the Twins for workouts, he'll need to self-isolate and test negative twice. The timing of Astudillo's positive test could make it a challenge for him to gain full clearance in advance of the Twins' Opening Day game July 23 or 24.
-
DJ LeMahieu 2B | NYY
Yankees' DJ LeMahieu: Tests positive for COVID-19
LeMahieu has tested positive for coronavirus, Marly Rivera of ESPN reports.
LeMahieu is reportedly asymptomatic, but it remains unclear when he'll be able to join his teammates. With Opening Day less than three weeks away, he won't have much time to get in game shape even if he's back with the team soon, which could open up a temporary role for Tyler Wade or Thairo Estrada at second base.