MLB Player News

  • Luis Rengifo 3B | MIL

    Angels' Luis Rengifo: Showing added bulk

    Rengifo is "noticeably bigger" than last year, Fabian Ardaya of The Athletic reports.

    Per Ardaya, Rengifo went deep four consecutive times during batting practice Thursday. The added muscle may come in handy as Rengifo seeks to earn a starting spot at second base this spring. The second baseman hit only 12 home runs in 467 combined at-bats between the majors and minors last season.

  • Athletics' Franklin Barreto: 'Best shot' yet to make roster

    Barreto has his best opportunity to nab a major-league roster spot this spring with prior second-base occupants elsewhere, Martin Gallegos of MLB.com reports. "He has an opportunity where, if he has the type of spring that he has had before, it's going to be tough not to have him be part of that dynamic, whether it's a left-right dynamic or an everyday role," said manager Bob Melvin. "There's not one particular guy in front of him right now. This is his best shot."

    Barreto has scuffled during his three prior major-league stints, as his career .189/.220/.378 line across 69 plate appearances illustrates. However, the departures of Jed Lowrie and Jurickson Profar over the last two offseasons offer Barreto the least veteran resistance to a roster spot he's encountered yet, and the fact he's now out of minor-league options could certainly work in his favor if he puts together a strong spring. The 23-year-old has proven capable of making a favorable impression during the exhibition slate in the past, but he will have to hold his own against fellow capable prospects Jorge Mateo, Sheldon Neuse and Vimael Machin to lock in an Opening Day roster spot this time around.

  • Jorge Polanco 1B | NYM

    Twins' Jorge Polanco: Nearing full clearance

    Polanco (ankle) ran near 100 percent Saturday, Betsy Helfand of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports.

    Polanco is still awaiting clearance before fully going 100 percent, but he appears to be in the final stages of his recovery from the right ankle surgery he underwent in November. The 26-year-old seems likely to be able to be ready for Opening Day if cleared relatively soon, though it's worth keeping an eye on his status as spring training progresses.

  • Cavan Biggio RF | HOU

    Blue Jays' Cavan Biggio: Likely No. 2 hitter

    Blue Jays manager Charlie Montoyo said Sunday that he envisions Biggio serving as the team's No. 2 hitter this season, Hazel Mae of Sportsnet reports.

    The lefty-hitting Biggio could eventually move down in the order against southpaws, but he'll likely be given a full-time look out of the two hole -- in between Bo Bichette and Vlad Guerrero Jr. -- at least to begin the season after he slashed a credible .237/.368/.373 (104 wRC+) in 145 plate appearances versus same-handed pitching in 2019. Biggio supplied 16 home runs and 14 steals in just 100 games with Toronto as a rookie and could push for a 20-20 season if he gets 600 plate appearances in 2020.

  • Brandon Lowe 2B | PIT

    Rays' Brandon Lowe: Feeling healthy in spring

    Lowe said Saturday that he feels fully healthy entering spring training after he missed much of the second half of the 2019 season while battling a quadriceps injury, Neil Solondz of the Rays Radio Network reports.

    The Rays initially ruled Lowe out for the season in late August after he strained his left quad while rehabbing a bone bruise in his right shin, but the 25-year-old was surprisingly able to make it back in action in the final week of the campaign to earn his spot on the postseason roster. Lowe wasn't especially productive following his return from the lengthy layoff, but after he resumed rehabbing the quad over the winter, he feels confident he'll be able to regain the strong form he displayed early last season. Lowe slashed .270/.336/.514 with 17 home runs and five steals across 327 plate appearances en route to earning an All-Star nod in 2019, but his 34.6 percent strikeout rate suggests some regression could be headed his way even if health prevails.

  • Michael Chavis 2B | CIN

    Red Sox's Michael Chavis: Role clarified

    Chavis (oblique) will split time between first and second base this season, Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com reports.

    Red Sox interim manager Ron Roenicke clarified Chavis' role for the upcoming season. "When he's swinging the bat well, he's going to get more playing time whether it's at first or second," Roenicke said. "But he's going to be out there. When he's performing the way he can, like when he first came up last year and was so hot, you want him in the lineup." Chavis did not hit well against lefties in 2019 (.226 batting average) and needs to lay off high fastballs. Roenicke acknowledged Chavis' need to lay off high heat but believes his performance against lefties was the product of a limited sample size.

  • Jorge Polanco 1B | NYM

    Twins' Jorge Polanco: Hits in batting cage

    Polanco (ankle) was in the batting cage Wednesday and did not appear to have any limitations, Aaron Gleeman of The Athletic reports.

    Polanco underwent surgery Nov. 22 to address a right ankle impingement. It's thought he'll be ready for Opening Day, but monitor his progress early in spring training.

  • Luis Rengifo 3B | MIL

    Angels' Luis Rengifo: Trade to Dodgers shut down

    Rengifo's (wrist) reported trade from the Angels to the Dodgers is no longer in effect Sunday, according to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.

    Rengifo becoming a Dodger was apparently contingent on the original Mookie Betts trade involving the Dodgers and Red Sox on Tuesday, which ultimately fell through. It is unclear whether or not the Angels will resume trade talks with the Dodgers following this bizarre circumstance, but for now the 22-year-old returns to his original team and is set to compete with Tommy La Stella this spring for the starting position at second base.

  • Rylan Bannon 2B | NYM

    Orioles' Rylan Bannon: Will join big-league camp

    Bannon was invited to Baltimore's big-league camp Tuesday, Jon Meoli of The Baltimore Sun reports.

    Bannon might not receive serious consideration for an Opening Day roster spot, as he's played just 20 games at the Triple-A level, but his debut will likely come at some point this season. If he can repeat his .317/.344/.549 line from those 20 games for Triple-A Norfolk last season, it won't be long before he gets his first taste of the big leagues. Bannon doesn't project as anything close to a star, but he has a decent bat and good plate discipline (12.2 percent career walk rate in the minors), which should eventually earn him at least a bench spot given his ability to play second and third base.

  • Elvis Andrus 2B | ARI

    Rangers' Elvis Andrus: Shedding weight

    Andrus showed up at a team event Friday about 10 pounds lighter than when the 2019 season ended, Sam Blum of the Dallas Morning News reports.

    Andrus, who is entering his 12th year in the Rangers' organization, said he plans to shed at least another five pounds before training camp opens. He's coming off an unproductive season with a .706 OPS in 147 games. Texas general manager Jon Daniels made both Andrus and second baseman Rougned Odor aware of the team's displeasure with their results last year, per Kevin Sherrington of the Dallas Morning News. "We've been real clear with both guys," Daniels said. "Their position with the club is different from what it's been." The message to Andrus was to show up in better shape and be committed to the long grind of the baseball season. While there is not a ready option to take over at shortstop, Rangers manager Chris Woodward could drop Andrus in the batting order.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola