MLB Player News

  • Jose Altuve 2B | HOU

    Astros' Jose Altuve: Trending toward early week return

    Astros manager Dusty Baker said Sunday that he anticipates Altuve (illness) will be ready to return from the COVID-19 injured list early in the upcoming week, Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle reports.

    After completing a quarantine and gaining clearance to rejoin the Astros this weekend, Altuve disclosed that he had tested positive for the coronavirus. He doesn't appear to have experienced any significant symptoms as a result of contracting the virus, but he'll still likely need another day or two to regain conditioning before the Astros are comfortable activating him. Altuve was spotted fielding groundballs prior to Sunday's game, so it's at least encouraging that he's taking part in baseball activities again.

  • Danny Mendick 3B | CHW

    White Sox's Danny Mendick: Removed from active roster

    The White Sox optioned Mendick to their alternate training site Sunday, James Fegan of The Athletic reports.

    Mendick hadn't appeared in any of the White Sox's last three games, so the reserve infielder was deemed expendable with the team requiring an extra reliever due to none of Liam Hendriks, Aaron Bummer and Codi Heuer being available for Sunday's series finale against the Rangers. The White Sox recalled Jonathan Stiever in a corresponding move, and he should be capable of filling multiple innings behind starter Michael Kopech.

  • Red Sox's Christian Arroyo: Slots in at leadoff

    Arroyo batted leadoff and went 0-for-4 in Saturday's 8-2 loss to the Mariners.

    Arroyo was in the leadoff spot for the third time this season. Typically, Enrique Hernandez tops Boston's batting order, but he was given the day off Saturday. Arroyo, who has worked his way from backup utility infielder into a semi-regular role at second base, is hitless in his last eight at-bats.

  • Sam Haggerty LF | TEX

    Mariners' Sam Haggerty: Homers in three-hit game

    Haggerty went 3-for-5 with a homer, a steal, a pair of RBI and a pair of runs scored Saturday against Boston.

    Haggerty scored on Kyle Seager's two-run triple in the second inning. He later extended the Mariners' lead to five with a solo shot off Josh Taylor in the eighth inning, his second homer of the year. He now sits second on the team with three steals.

  • Zack Short 3B | DET

    Tigers' Zack Short: Sent down by Tigers

    Short was optioned to the Tigers' alternate training site following Saturday's loss to the Royals, Cody Stavenhagen of The Athletic reports.

    Short was called up by the Tigers on Wednesday and went 1-for-5 with two walks and three strikeouts while appearing in three games. However, he'll now be removed from the major-league roster to make room for Miguel Cabrera (biceps), who will be activated from the 10-day injured list ahead of Sunday's game against Kansas City.

  • Jack Mayfield 2B | LAA

    Angels' Jack Mayfield: DFA'd by Angels

    Mayfield was designated for assignment by the Angels on Saturday.

    Mayfield was optioned to the Angels' alternate training site April 14, and he'll now be removed from the 40-man roster. The 30-year-old went hitless in three at-bats with the major-league club earlier in the season.

  • Jose Altuve 2B | HOU

    Astros' Jose Altuve: Confirms previous positive test

    Altuve confirmed Saturday that he had tested positive for COVID-19, but he now feels good, Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports.

    Altuve was one of five players the Astros placed on the COVID-19 injured list last week, but the second baseman was the only one to test positive for the virus. The 30-year-old was cleared to work out with his teammates Friday since he has now cleared the league's health and safety protocols. Altuve said Saturday that he isn't sure when he'll be cleared to return to game action, but he thinks that it will be "pretty soon," Julia Morales of AT&T SportsNet Southwest reports.

  • Red Sox's Enrique Hernandez: Not in Saturday's lineup

    Hernandez isn't starting Saturday's game against the Mariners, Pete Abraham of The Boston Globe reports.

    Hernandez had recorded hits in four of the last five games and went 5-for-24 with four extra-base hits, four runs and two RBI during that time. Christian Arroyo will take over at second base and lead off Saturday.

  • Tigers' Harold Castro: Starting Saturday

    Castro is starting at second base and batting seventh in Saturday's game against the Royals.

    Castro gets the nod at second with the slumping Niko Goodrum heading to the bench. Castro is batting .294 in limited action this year, but he also batted .347 last year and .291 back in 2019, so the 27-year-old has shown that he's capable of collecting plenty of hits at the MLB level.

  • Nicky Lopez 3B | CHC

    Royals' Nicky Lopez: Not starting Saturday

    Lopez isn't starting Saturday's game against the Tigers.

    Lopez had started each of the last five contests and went 4-for-17 with two doubles, four RBI and three runs during that time. Hanser Alberto will start at shortstop while Hunter Dozier starts at the hot corner Saturday.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola