MLB Player News

  • Royals' Michael Lorenzen: Exits with trainer

    Lorenzen was removed from Wednesday's game against the Nationals due to an apparent injury, Anne Rogers of MLB.com reports.

    Lorenzen was able to get through 2.1 innings in his first start back from the injured list before motioning for a trainer to come take a look at him. The Royals haven't yet specified what was bothering the right-hander enough for him to ask out of the game, though it may be related to the hamstring injury that kept him sidelined for nearly a month prior to Wednesday's outing.

  • Yusei Kikuchi SP | LAA

    Astros' Yusei Kikuchi: Tough-luck loser in quality start

    Kikuchi (9-10) took the loss Wednesday against Seattle, allowing two unearned on four hits and one walk while striking out eight in six innings.

    Kikuchi was excellent Wednesday, shutting out the Mariners through five innings before an unfortunate error in the sixth resulted in two unearned runs crossing the plate, giving Kikuchi his first loss since he was acquired by the Astros in late July. The 33-year-old veteran has been a revelation since coming over from Toronto at the All-Star break, posting a 5-1 record with an elite 2.70 ERA, 0.93 WHIP and 76:14 K:BB in 60 innings (10 starts). The southpaw will close out the regular season with a 4.05 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and a career-best 206 strikeouts in 175.2 innings (32 starts).

  • Yankees' Nestor Cortes: Hoping for return late in playoffs

    Cortes (elbow) said he's hopeful to return from the 15-day injured list at some point late in the postseason if the Yankees make a deep run, Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports.

    Cortes had been scheduled to start Wednesday against the Orioles, but he was scratched from the outing due to an elbow issue and was sent in for an MRI. He was diagnosed with a left elbow flexor strain and subsequently placed on the IL, making him ineligible to rejoin the Yankees until at least the ALCS. Cortes noted that he will be shut down for the next 7-to-10 days after getting a platelet-rich plasma injection for his elbow while also seeking at least two other doctors for further opinions on a treatment plan. On a positive note, Cortes told Jorge Castillo of ESPN.com that his UCL remains intact, so the lefty appears likely to avoid surgery and will hope to make a full recovery through rest and rehab.

  • Orioles' Grayson Rodriguez: Out for 2024

    Orioles manager Brandon Hyde announced Wednesday that Rodriguez (lat) has been shut down and won't pitch again this season, Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports.

    The 24-year-old hasn't suffered any sort of setback with the lat strain he sustained in early August, but he apparently hadn't progressed enough to be a potential factor during the playoffs. Rodriguez will focus his rehab efforts on getting ready for 2025 after finishing this season with a 3.86 ERA, 1.24 WHIP and 130:36 K:BB across 116.2 innings.

  • George Kirby SP | SEA

    Mariners' George Kirby: Fans six in quality start

    Kirby (14-11) hurled six innings of one-run ball to pick up the win Wednesday against Houston, allowing four hits and one walk while striking out six.

    Kirby was shaky to start this one, plunking Jeremy Pena and issuing a rare base on balls in the opening frame. Kirby settled in shortly thereafter, cruising through six innings to pick up his third consecutive quality start and his 20th overall. Kirby showcased his historic control yet again this season, leading MLB with a 7.9 K/BB and a microscopic 1.1 BB/9. The 26-year-old will end the regular season with a 3.53 ERA, 1.07 WHIP and 179:23 K:BB in 191 innings (33 starts). The right-hander's combination of pinpoint control and durability makes him one of the most reliable pitchers in fantasy, although his modest strikeout totals cap his ceiling.

  • Rays' Shane McClanahan: Touches 94-95 mph in live BP

    Rays manager Kevin Cash said that McClanahan (elbow) touched 94-to-95 mph in a 16-pitch live batting practice session Wednesday at Tropicana Field, Tricia Whitaker of Bally Sports Sun reports.

    Cash added that McClanahan -- who is coming back from August 2023 Tommy John surgery -- is "mentally ready to go" and "excited about a normal offseason." The left-hander is expected to be ready for spring training and next year's Opening Day, although he is expected to have workload restrictions in place after missing the entirety of the 2024 campaign.

  • Red Sox's Garrett Whitlock: Starting throwing program Thursday

    Whitlock (elbow) will begin a throwing program Thursday, Gabrielle Starr of the Boston Herald reports.

    Whitlock will kick off a throwing progression as he works his way back from an internal bracing procedure, which he underwent in May. It's not yet clear what role the Red Sox have in mind for Whitlock in 2025, but that could affect how soon he might be available to pitch for them.

  • Gavin Williams SP | CLE

    Guardians' Gavin Williams: Slated for bulk relief Sunday

    Williams will be used as a bulk reliever in Sunday's game against the Astros, Mandy Bell of MLB.com reports.

    All 16 of Williams' appearances with the Guardians to this point in the season have been traditional starts, but the club will try him as a primary reliever in his final regular-season outing, perhaps with an eye on using him similarly in the playoffs. For what it's worth, Williams has a 6.32 ERA in the first inning this season.

  • Royals' Michael Lorenzen: Activated ahead of start

    The Royals activated Lorenzen (hamstring) from the 15-day injured list Wednesday.

    Lorenzen will rejoin the rotation Wednesday versus the Nationals after missing the last four weeks of action with a strained hamstring. The righty was limited to 1.2 and 3.2 innings in his two minor-league rehab appearances, so he'll likely be operating on a restricted workload in what will be his final start of the regular season.

  • Joey Cantillo SP | CLE

    Guardians' Joey Cantillo: Now pitching Friday

    Cantillo is no longer starting Wednesday's game against the Reds and will instead pitch in Friday's series opener versus the Astros, Zack Meisel of The Athletic reports.

    The Guardians have locked up a first-round bye for the postseason, so they're switching up their pitching plans in the final week of the regular season. Andrew Walters will now serve as the Guardians' opening pitcher Wednesday in what's expected to be a bullpen game. While Cantillo will pitch Friday, it's uncertain whether he'll be deployed as a traditional starter or a bulk reliever.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola