MLB Player News
-
Franklin Barreto LF | BAL
Angels' Franklin Barreto: Leaves game with injury
Barreto exited Sunday's game with an apparent shoulder injury, Fabian Ardaya of The Athletic reports.
Barreto suffered the injury while stealing second base in the bottom of the sixth inning and left the game immediately afterward while clutching his left shoulder. It's unclear whether the injury will force Barreto to miss any additional time.
-
Luis Rengifo 3B | MIL
Angels' Luis Rengifo: Scratched with thumb sprain
Rengifo was scratched from Sunday's lineup with a left thumb sprain.
Maria Torres of the Los Angeles Times notes that Rengifo broke a hamate bone in his left hand last year. If the Angels have any long-term concerns about the hand, they could very well shut Rengifo down for the rest of the year, with little to play for over the remainder of the 2020 season. That being said, he should be considered day-to-day for now.
-
Luis Rengifo 3B | MIL
Angels' Luis Rengifo: Scratched from Sunday's lineup
Rengifo was scratched from the lineup Sunday.
Franklin Barreto, who was set to DH, is now slated to start at second base against Astros lefty Framber Valdez. Albert Pujols will be the designated hitter as Jared Walsh enters the lineup at first base. A reason for Rengifo's scratch was not provided.
-
Marcus Semien 2B | NYM
Athletics' Marcus Semien: Likely taking BP on Monday
Manager Bob Melvin said that Semien (side) will likely take batting practice on the field Monday and could play soon thereafter, Martin Gallegos of MLB.com reports.
It's been more than a week now since Semien last appeared in a game. Fortunately, it does not sound like an IL stint will be necessary as Semien is making slow, but steady, progress. If he checks out OK in batting practice, it's reasonable to think Semien could return to the lineup for one half of Tuesday's doubleheader against the Astros.
-
Marcus Semien 2B | NYM
Athletics' Marcus Semien: Out again Sunday
Semien (side) is not in the starting lineup for Sunday's game against the Padres.
Semien swung the bat Thursday and reported continued improvement with his left side injury, but he remains out Sunday. He has not played since Aug. 29. Manager Bob Melvin said earlier this week that Semien was likely to avoid the IL -- teams can only backdate IL stints three days and it's hard to imagine the team would make a move with Semien at this point.
-
Luis Arraez 2B | SF
Twins' Luis Arraez: Back in action
Arraez (kneecap) is back in the lineup Sunday against the Tigers.
Left patellar soreness forced Arraez from Wednesday's game and cost him three starts, but evidently he has received the green light from the training staff. Arraez is essentially doing what everyone expected of him -- providing very little category juice but hitting for a solid average. He's batting .333 (15-for-45) in his last 13 games.
-
Vidal Brujan SS | NYM
Rays' Vidal Brujan: Joining taxi squad
Brujan will join the Rays' taxi squad for the team's upcoming road trip to Washington, Juan Toribio of MLB.com reports.
There were rumors of a callup for the 22-year-old Brujan, who is arguably the organization's top prospect behind Wander Franco. It seems Brujan will have to wait a while yet to join the major-league roster, though he will be available in an emergency against the Nats. If Brujan were to receive an official promotion at some point, he would likely be a popular pickup in fantasy leagues after he stole 48 and 55 bases in the minors in 2019 and 2018, respectively.
-
Gleyber Torres 2B | DET
Yankees' Gleyber Torres: Gets aboard twice in return
Torres (hamstring) went 1-for-3 with a double and a walk in Saturday's 6-1 loss to the Orioles.
Torres missed two weeks with a hamstring strain, but he was solid in his return. He played the full game defensively at shortstop and batted third. The 23-year-old is slashing .235/.347/.309 with a homer, six RBI and nine runs scored through 25 contests. The double was his third of the year.
-
Rylan Bannon 2B | NYM
Orioles' Rylan Bannon: Added to 60-man roster
Bannon was added to the Orioles' 60-man roster Saturday.
Bannon was a non-roster invitee during spring training, and he'll now get to develop at the team's alternate training site. The 24-year-old hit .333/.467/.667 with three extra-base hits and six strikeouts during spring training but hasn't been as productive in the minors.