MLB Player News

  • Rhys Hoskins 1B | CLE

    Phillies' Rhys Hoskins: Won't require surgery

    Phillies manager Gabe Kapler said Hoskins will not require surgery to repair his fractured jaw, Matt Gelb of The Athletic Philadelphia reports.

    This is encouraging news for Hoskins, who was placed on the 10-day disabled list Thursday due to the injury. While the 24-year-old remains without a timetable for his return, avoiding surgery means he'll likely be sidelined for weeks rather than months. The Phillies will obviously proceed cautiously with the young slugger, but it sounds like he could be back sometime in June barring any setbacks during his rehab. In the meantime, Aaron Altherr and Nick Williams figure to both benefit from full-time roles in Hoskins' absence.

  • Luke Voit 1B | NYM

    Cardinals' Luke Voit: Summoned to majors

    Voit was recalled from Tirple-A Memphis on Thursday.

    Voit will take the roster spot of prospect Tyler O'Neill, who was sent to the minors in a corresponding roster move following Dexter Fowler's return to the starting lineup. Voit didn't appear in a game during a brief stint with the big club earlier in the year, but he hit .246/.306/.430 across 62 games in his first taste of the majors last season.

  • Rhys Hoskins 1B | CLE

    Phillies' Rhys Hoskins: Officially placed on DL

    Hoskins (jaw) was placed on the 10-day disabled list Thursday, Matt Breen of The Philadelphia Inquirer reports.

    As expected, Hoskins was sent to the disabled list after it was revealed that he suffered a broken jaw after fouling a ball off his face earlier in the week. The 24-year-old is expected to undergo further examination Thursday, after which a potential timetable for his return should come into focus. The Phillies haven't ruled out surgery as an option for Hoskins. Dylan Cozens was recalled from Triple-A Lehigh Valley in a corresponding roster move, while Aaron Altherr and Nick Williams should both benefit from full-time roles in the outfield while Hoskins is on the shelf.

  • Diamondbacks' Paul Goldschmidt: Goes deep in losing effort

    Goldschmidt went 1-for-4 with a two-run homer in Wednesday's loss to the Reds.

    Goldschmidt gave Arizona an early 2-0 lead two batters into the first inning, but it ultimately wouldn't hold up. The 30-year-old is still hitting a meager .209 on the season, but it's possible bad luck is factoring in. His .288 BABIP is by no means unreasonably low, but his lowest mark in a full season over his career is .340, so it'd help if that number starts creeping back up closer to his career average.

  • Joey Votto 1B | TOR

    Reds' Joey Votto: Three hits Wednesday

    Votto went 3-for-5 with a run scored in Wednesday's win over the Diamondbacks.

    All three hits were singles, as Votto extended his modest six-game hitting streak. In that span, the 34-year-old is hitting .440 (11-for-25) with a couple of RBI and five runs scored. Votto continues to be an incredibly steady producer, slashing .295/.408/.430 to go along with six homers and 24 RBI.

  • Rhys Hoskins 1B | CLE

    Phillies' Rhys Hoskins: Bound for DL with fractured jaw

    Manager Gabe Kapler said Hoskins (mouth) will likely be placed on the 10-day disabled list, Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports.

    It was originally thought that Hoskins avoided a serious injury after fouling a ball off his face in Monday's series opener against the Dodgers, but a subsequent CT scan revealed the 25-year-old is dealing with a fractured jaw. He's set to return to Philadelphia for further testing, but the expectation is that he'll require a stay on the DL. Assuming Hoskins hits the shelf for a little while, both Nick Williams and Aaron Altherr would benefit from full-time roles in the outfield.

  • Rhys Hoskins 1B | CLE

    Phillies' Rhys Hoskins: Remains out Wednesday

    Hoskins (mouth) is not in the lineup for Wednesday's game against the Dodgers, J.P. Hoornstra of the Los Angeles Daily News reports.

    Hoskins will miss a second straight game as he continues to deal with a cut on his lip, an injury he suffered after fouling a ball off his mouth during Monday's series opener. The Phillies don't believe the issue is anything concerning, but they'll continue to play it safe with the young outfielder. Nick Williams will pick up another start in the outfield in his stead.

  • Pete Alonso 1B | BAL

    Mets' Peter Alonso: Crushing Double-A pitching

    Through 50 games with Double-A Binghamton this season, Alonso, 23, is hitting .333/.460/.632 with 14 home runs and 42 RBI across 213 plate appearances.

    Alonso was highly impressive during his late-season promotion to Binghamton in 2017, but he has taken his game to a whole new level in his first extended action in the Eastern League. His 14 home runs lead the circuit, while his on-base percentage trails only uber prospect Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (.474) among players with at least 40 games played. Perhaps even more than his solid power production, Alonso's improved approach at the plate has elevated him on prospect lists. He owns a 35:41 BB:K for the season, with his 17 percent walk rate doubling his career mark entering 2018. While the Mets have another well-regarded first-base prospect in Dominic Smith at Triple-A Las Vegas, Smith has been seeing more reps in the corner outfield of late, an indication the organization may be viewing Alonso as its preferred first baseman of the future.

  • Mets' Asdrubal Cabrera: Goes yard twice Tuesday

    Cabrera went 2-for-5 with two home runs and three RBI in Tuesday's loss to the Braves.

    His blasts in the third and fifth innings propelled the Mets to a 5-2 lead, which the bullpen once again failed to protect. After hitting 14 homers in 135 games last season, Cabrera already has 10 through 51 contests in 2018 to go along with an impressive .315/.353/.550 slash line.

  • Justin Bour 1B | SF

    Marlins' Justin Bour: Two hits in loss

    Bour went 2-for-4 with a double and two strikeouts in Tuesday's loss to the Padres.

    The two-bagger extended Bour's streak to a modest three straight with an extra-base hit and he's gone 6-for-12 with three runs scored in that span. The Miami lineup typically won't provide many run-producing opportunities for the 30-year-old, so he'll need to improve upon his .248 average and .467 slugging percentage -- both of which would be career lows over a full season -- to really get going.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola