MLB Player News

  • Matt Chapman 3B | SF

    Athletics' Matt Chapman: Takes hacks Tuesday

    Manager Bob Melvin said that Chapman (shoulder/thumb) took approximately 50 swings in the batting cage Tuesday, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

    Chapman will be limited to begin spring training while he eases himself back from offseason thumb and shoulder surgeries, but the fact that he's already swinging the bat offers early optimism that he'll be ready to go for the Athletics' season opener March 20 versus the Mariners in Tokyo. Assuming he endures no noteworthy setbacks in the next month, Chapman profiles as a comfortable fantasy investment in the corner infield. The third baseman made significant strides at the plate in his second season in the majors, cutting his strikeout rate down by 4.5 percentage points from his rookie campaign while racking up 72 extra-base knocks across 616 plate appearances.

  • Matt Chapman 3B | SF

    Athletics' Matt Chapman: Limited to start spring training

    Chapman (shoulder/thumb) is slightly behind schedule for the start of spring training but is still hopeful that he'll be ready by Opening Day in Tokyo on March 20, Jane Lee of MLB.com reports.

    Chapman underwent a pair of surgeries this offseason -- thumb surgery in October and shoulder surgery in December -- and was initially expected to be fully ready for the start of spring training. While those plans haven't come to fruition, it doesn't seem like the team is overly concerned about its third baseman. Chapman is swinging a bat and hopes not to miss too many spring games. More information on his status will likely come forth as he progresses more in his rehab program.

  • Alex Bregman 3B | CHC

    Astros' Alex Bregman: Resumes hitting

    Bregman (elbow) resumed hitting Wednesday, Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle reports.

    Bregman underwent arthroscopic surgery in mid-January to remove loose bodies from his right elbow. He was expected to be limited to start spring training, which still appears likely, given that players are due to report in less than two weeks. Barring setbacks, he should be ready to go by Opening Day.

  • Red Sox's Rafael Devers: Reshapes body over winter

    Devers hired a nutritionist over the offseason and has focused on improving his conditioning throughout the winter, Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com reports. "I feel healthy right now," Devers said in January. "I think I'm in a good place. Last year, I had a lot of injuries and I think it was a product of the weight."

    Officially listed at six-foot, 237 pounds, Devers hasn't tracked his weight loss over the last few months, but Cotillo notes that the third baseman is noticeably slimmer than he was during his first two seasons with Boston. Conditioning issues may have contributed in part to Devers requiring three stints on the disabled list between last July and August, with a pair of hamstring injuries in particular proving problematic. The missed time coupled with a 44-point slide in batting average made Devers' sophomore season a disappointing one, but improved health and another year of experience should increase the 22-year-old's odds of tapping into more of his considerable upside in 2019.

  • Mike Olt 3B | BOS

    Twins' Mike Olt: Signs with Twins

    Olt signed a minor-league contract with the Twins on Sunday, according to his personal Instagram account.

    Olt spent the majority of the 2018 campaign with Triple-A Pawtucket, hitting .224/.357/.430 with 11 homers in 71 games. The 30-year-old hasn't appeared in the majors since 2015 and owns a career .580 OPS across parts of three major-league seasons, so he's nothing more than organizational depth.

  • Alex Bregman 3B | CHC

    Astros' Alex Bregman: Taking it easy in recovery

    Bregman has yet to resume hitting following arthroscopic elbow surgery, Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle reports.

    Bregman is reportedly under orders from the team's training staff to take things slowly, so it's not particularly surprising that he's yet to hit, given that it's been only 15 days since the procedure. It was suggested at the time of his surgery that he'd be limited to start spring training, and the latest reports seem to support that timeline. There haven't been suggestions that his status for Opening Day is in doubt, but if a setback does occur, expect Aledmys Diaz to move into the starting lineup temporarily.

  • Royce Lewis 3B | MIN

    Twins' Royce Lewis: Receives spring training invite

    Lewis received an invitation to major-league spring training, LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.

    The 19-year-old split the 2018 season between Low-A Cedar Rapids and High-A Fort Meyers, compiling a .292/.352/.451 slash line with 14 home runs, though he understandably saw a dip in production after being promoted in July. Nonetheless, the No.1 overall pick from the 2017 draft will have a chance to showcase himself at spring training, though he should still begin the season at Fort Meyers or Double-A Chattanooga.

  • Nick Madrigal 3B | LAA

    White Sox's Nick Madrigal: Invited to spring training

    Madrigal was invited to the White Sox's big-league camp Tuesday.

    Madrigal, the fourth overall pick in 2018, didn't disappoint in his first taste of professional ball, hitting a combined .303/.353/.348 with eight stolen bases and a 5:7 K:BB in 179 plate appearances across stops in the AZL, Sally League and Carolina League. The 21-year-old figures to open the 2019 campaign at Double-A, though he should be on the fast track to the majors.

  • Drew Maggi 3B | PIT

    Twins' Drew Maggi: Signs with Twins

    Maggi signed a minor-league contract with the Twins on Wednesday, Brandon Warne of ZoneCoverage.com reports.

    Maggi toiled at Triple-A for a second consecutive season, hitting a respectable .272/.333/.345 with 11 stolen bases in 64 games with Columbus. He served a 50-game suspension at the beginning of the year after testing positive for Amphetamine. The utility man, who turns 30 in March, figures to offer organizational depth for the Twins in 2019.

  • Alex Bregman 3B | CHC

    Astros' Alex Bregman: Limited to start spring training

    Bregman's recovery from elbow surgery is expected to limit him for the start of spring training, but the infielder should be ready to play before Opening Day against the Rays on March 28, Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle reports.

    Bregman approached the Astros a couple of weeks ago about discomfort in his right elbow. An exploratory procedure discovered loose bodies, leading Bregman and the club to decide on an operation to remove the debris. If there's any delay, the Astros can use Aledmys Diaz or Yuli Gurriel as a replacement at third base until Bregman is ready to play. Bregman is confident he'll be ready to go for the start of the regular season.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola