MLB Player News

  • Diamondbacks' Brandon Drury: Battling for primary second base job this spring

    Drury will have to compete for innings at second base this spring, Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports.

    Drury spent much of last season as Arizona's primary second baseman, but he faded down the stretch and settled into a part-time role by the season's end. Pair that with the offensive emergence of Ketel Marte and the defensive prowess of Nick Ahmed (wrist), and Drury is no lock to crack the Opening Day lineup. Chris Owings (finger) is also in the mix for playing time up the middle. The 24-year-old does have 100 extra-base hits to his name over the past two seasons, but his on-base numbers are lacking.

  • Adam Frazier 2B | LAA

    Pirates' Adam Frazier: Opportunity for expanded playing time

    Frazier is likely to see plenty of action in left field while batting leadoff in 2018, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.

    The 26-year-old could move back to second base if the team trades Josh Harrison, but for now it looks like he'll rotate with Sean Rodriguez and Daniel Nava in left field. A career .300 hitter in the minor leagues, the lefty has batted for a higher average against southpaws (.338 in 89 plate appearances) than righties (.265 in 502 PA), a trend which has carried over from the minors. The natural infielder, who saw time at six different positions in 2017, may finally get a chance to settle in at one position (left field). As a result, Frazier could provide fantasy contributions in both batting average and runs scored.

  • Dilson Herrera 2B | CIN

    Reds' Dilson Herrera: Shoulder fully healed

    Herrera's shoulder injury that ended his 2017 has fully healed, MLB.com's Mark Sheldon reports. "Everything is good," Herrera said Friday. "I am feeling really better, much better than last year. I'm ready to work."

    Herrera is hoping to land a utility role with the Reds on Opening Day. The path to future playing time is a bit muddled, however. Jose Peraza and Scooter Gennett have shortstop and second base covered, plus the Reds just signed Cliff Pennington. Add in that eventually the Reds want to get Nick Senzel up with the big club, and it's hard to see much of a chance for Herrera.

  • Nick Franklin 2B | PIT

    Brewers' Nick Franklin: Re-ups with Milwaukee on NRI deal

    Franklin agreed to a minor-league contract with the Brewers on Thursday that includes an invitation to spring training.

    Franklin, a 2009 first-round draft pick of the Mariners, will make a return trip to Milwaukee after being designated for assignment by the team over the summer. He failed to bat over the Mendoza Line with the Brewers or the Angels, so he'll likely just act as organizational depth for the team given his expansive positional utility.

  • Dilson Herrera 2B | CIN

    Reds' Dilson Herrera: Opening Day roster potential

    Herrera (shoulder) is out of options heading into the 2018 season and thus is potentially a favorite to make the Reds' Opening Day roster, MLB.com's Mark Sheldon reports.

    Dilson's 2017 season ended in July with a shoulder injury that required surgery. The major return from the 2016 Jay Bruce trade, Herrera's Reds tenure has been marred with injury and disappointing numbers. In 239 at-bats Herrera hit .264/.312/.397 with seven homers at Triple-A Louisville last year. That said, he turns just 24 in March, so there's still time for him to realize his full potential.

  • Isan Diaz 2B | DET

    Marlins' Isan Diaz: Receives spring training invitation

    Diaz was invited to the Marlins' big-league camp for spring training, Jerry Crasnick of MLB.com reports.

    Diaz was one of four prospects traded to Miami in exchange for Christian Yelich just two weeks ago. The 20-year-old infielder also competed in major-league spring training last year with Milwaukee, and although he impressed the club, he had a tough time finding a groove with High-A Carolina once the season began. In 110 games, he slashed .222/.334/.376 with 13 home runs, 54 RBI and nine stolen bases. He will look to get back on track this spring, and will likely begin the 2018 campaign back at the High-A level.

  • Rockies' Brendan Rodgers: Receives spring invite

    Rodgers has been invited to the Rockies' major-league camp this spring.

    The Rockies will give one of their best prospects a look against big-league competition, though he's ultimately expected to open the season back in the minors. Rodgers opened the 2017 campaign with High-A Lancaster but quickly earned a promotion to Double-A after hitting .387/.407/.671 with 12 homers in 51 games for the JetHawks. The 21-year-old's success didn't quite translate following his promotion, however, as he hit just .260/.323/.413 in 38 games with Double-A Hartford. Rodgers, who possesses above-average power with the potential for an above-average hit tool, will likely return to Double-A to open the 2018 campaign.

  • Isan Diaz 2B | DET

    Marlins' Isan Diaz: Dished to Miami

    Diaz was traded to the Marlins on Thursday along with Lewis Brinson, Monte Harrison and Jordan Yamamoto in exchange for Christian Yelich.

    Diaz is one of three well-regarded prospects headed to Miami, along with Brinson and Harrison. The infielder was seen as a top-100 prospect prior to the 2017 season, though he has since dropped out after hitting just .222/.334/.376 across 110 games with High-A Carolina last season. Still, he's just 21 years old with plenty of potential; Diaz may be tabbed as the eventual replacement for second baseman Dee Gordon, who was traded to the Mariners earlier in the offseason.

  • Luis Urias 2B | ATH

    Padres' Luis Urias: Gets spring invite

    Urias has been invited to the Padres' major-league camp this spring.

    Urias will join fellow top prospect Fernando Tatis Jr. at big-league camp as the Padres prepare to give the pair of promising young infielders a look during spring. The 20-year-old Urias spent all of last season with Double-A San Antonio, hitting .296/.398/.380 while walking more than he struck out (65:68 K:BB) across 118 games. While he hasn't displayed much speed or power in the minors, there are few players his age with higher quality hit tools. Still, Urias is expected to open the season in the minors, though he could make his major-league debut as early as summer if he continues to impress on the farm.

  • Dodgers' Enrique Hernandez: Avoids arbitration with Dodgers

    Hernandez agreed to a one-year, $1.6 million deal with the Dodgers on Friday, avoiding arbitration, Jon Heyman of FanRagSports.com reports.

    This was his first offseason as an arbitration-eligible player. The 26-year-old utility player didn't do much to move the needle during the regular season, but he was a postseason hero, which may have helped him in these negotiations. Hernandez should once again see semi-regular starts against left-handed pitching.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola