MLB Player News

  • Matthew Boyd SP | CHC

    Guardians' Matthew Boyd: Strikes out nine Wednesday

    Boyd didn't factor into the decision in Wednesday's 6-4 win over the White Sox, allowing four runs (one earned) on six hits and two walks over 4.1 innings. He struck out nine.

    All four runs against Boyd came in the third inning, though three were unearned following an Andres Gimenez throwing error. While 4.1 innings marked the shortest outing for Boyd this year, he was able to record a season-high nine strikeouts. Overall, the left-hander is 2-1 with a 2.18 ERA, 0.91 WHIP and 35:7 K:BB across six starts (33 innings) since returning from Tommy John surgery in mid-August. Boyd's currently lined up to face the Twins at home early next week in his next outing.

  • James Paxton SP | BOS

    Red Sox's James Paxton: Retiring after season

    Paxton (calf) said Wednesday that he plans to retire after the season, Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports.

    Paxton is currently on the 60-day injured list due to a tear in his right calf and won't be able to pitch again during the regular season, though he could be able to return for the postseason if the Red Sox are able to secure a wild-card spot. Either way, 2024 will mark the 35-year-old's final season in professional baseball, putting an end to his 11-year career. He'll finish with a career 3.77 ERA and 1.25 WHIP alongside 1,005 strikeouts through 951 innings.

  • Athletics' Ross Stripling: Goes on IL with lower-back strain

    The Athletics placed Stripling on the 15-day injured list Wednesday with a lower-back strain.

    Stripling was roughed up for 10 runs over his last two relief appearances but might have been pitching compromised. He will be eligible to return during the last week of the season, but it's not clear whether he will make it back.

  • Sean Burke P | CHW

    White Sox's Sean Burke: Set to join rotation

    White Sox interim manager Grady Sizemore said Wednesday that Burke is "in line" to get a start the next time the club has an opening in the rotation, Vinnie Duber of AllCHGO.com reports.

    Burke pitched well out of the bullpen in his major-league debut Tuesday versus the Guardians, yielding one unearned run with three strikeouts over three innings. The 24-year-old has made 16 starts this season with Triple-A Charlotte, collecting a 4.62 ERA and 86:36 K:BB across 64.1 innings. Burke looks to be on track to start either Sunday at home against the Athletics or Monday on the road versus the Angels.

  • Sean Burke P | CHW

    White Sox's Sean Burke: Works in long relief Tuesday

    Burke struck out three batters and allowed one unearned run on three hits and one walk over three innings of relief in Tuesday's 5-0 loss to the Guardians.

    Called up from Triple-A Charlotte earlier Tuesday, Burke was put to work right away in his MLB debut, entering the contest in the top of the seventh with the White Sox facing a four-run deficit. Burke escaped his debut outing with an unblemished ERA, even though he was at fault for the Guardians' final run of the night in the top of the ninth, when he committed a throwing error while attempting to pick off Steven Kwan at first base. Prior to his promotion, Burke had been a full-time member of the rotation at Charlotte, making 16 starts while logging a 4.62 ERA, 1.29 WHIP and 86:36 K:BB in 64.1 innings. The White Sox are currently running with a four-man rotation, so Burke could be the top choice the next time the club requires a fifth starter.

  • Hogan Harris RP | ATH

    Athletics' Hogan Harris: Picks up fourth win Tuesday

    Harris (4-3) got the extra-innings win against the Astros on Tuesday, allowing an unearned run on one hit over two innings. He struck out three.

    Harris breezed through his first frame in the 11th while preserving a 2-2 tie, striking out two of the three batters he faced. He returned for the 12th after the Athletics had rallied for two runs in the top half of the frame, and although he allowed a double to Jose Altuve, Harris subsequently bore down and retired the dangerous trio of Yordan Alvarez, Kyle Tucker and Alex Bregman to end the game. Harris has been effective out of the bullpen since his return to the big-league club in late August, mustering a 2-0 record, 0.93 ERA and 0.93 WHIP across 9.2 innings over five appearances.

  • Chris Bassitt SP | BAL

    Blue Jays' Chris Bassitt: Sharp in win No. 10

    Bassitt (10-12) picked up the win in Tuesday's 6-2 victory over the Mets, allowing one run on five hits and a walk over six innings. He struck out eight.

    The veteran right-hander gave up three singles in the first inning to bring home a run, but Bassitt was dominant after that, leaving the mound after 101 pitches (63 strikes) with his 12th quality start of the year. It's his first win since Aug. 6, and in 10 starts since the All-Star break he's gone 2-6 with a 5.50 ERA, 1.37 WHIP and 64:15 K:BB through 55.2 innings. Bassitt will look to string together consecutive victories for the first time since early June in his next outing, which is scheduled to come on the road early next week against the Rangers.

  • Marcus Stroman SP | NYY

    Yankees' Marcus Stroman: Gets little help in loss

    Stroman (10-8) took the loss Tuesday, giving up three runs on seven hits and two walks over 5.1 innings as the Yankees fell 5-0 to the Royals. He struck out four.

    The right-hander didn't pitch poorly, tossing 56 of 89 pitches for strikes, but Seth Lugo was dominant Tuesday and the Yankees managed only three singles in support of Stroman. He's completed six innings only twice in nine outings since the All-Star break, stumbling to a 5.40 ERA, 1.68 WHIP and 31:13 K:BB through 43.1 innings over that stretch. Stroman will look for a better result in his next start, which lines up to come on the road early next week in Seattle.

  • Seth Lugo SP | KC

    Royals' Seth Lugo: Baffles Yanks for 16th win

    Lugo (16-8) picked up the win in Tuesday's 5-0 victory over the Yankees, scattering three hits over seven scoreless innings. He struck out 10 without walking a batter.

    The right-hander didn't even let a runner reach second base in a masterful performance, as Lugo fired 77 of 105 pitches for strikes en route to his third straight quality start and 21st of the year -- one back of major-league leaders Logan Gilbert and Zack Wheeler. Lugo will look to keep rolling in his next outing, which is scheduled for early next week at home against the Tigers.

  • George Kirby SP | SEA

    Mariners' George Kirby: Surrenders two homers

    Kirby (11-11) took the loss Tuesday against the Padres, allowing five runs on seven hits and a walk while striking out four over five innings.

    Three of the seven hits allowed by Kirby went for extra bases, which included a three-run blast from Fernando Tatis in the third and a two-run shot by Manny Machado in the fifth to knock Kirby from the game. He's now allowed 28 runs over his last 31 innings. It was the third time over his last six starts allowing at least five runs and his third game allowing multiple home runs. The 26-year-old will carry a 3.77 ERA, 1.12 WHIP and 166:22 K:BB (172 innings) into a start at home against the Rangers this weekend.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola