MLB Player News

  • Trey Mancini 1B | LAA

    Angels' Trey Mancini: Returns to action Tuesday

    Mancini (illness) played four innings at first base and went 0-for-1 at the plate Tuesday in the Angels' 10-2 win over the Padres in Cactus League play.

    Mancini had been sidelined for the past four days due to an illness before returning to action Tuesday. The veteran first baseman/designated hitter is batting just .125 over 16 at-bats through nine Cactus League games and appears to be on the outside looking in for a spot on the Angels' Opening Day roster.

  • Nick Loftin 2B | KC

    Royals' Nick Loftin: Expected back Thursday

    Royals manager Matt Quatraro said Wednesday that Loftin is dealing with a jammed left thumb but should return to the lineup for Thursday's Cactus League game against the Padres, Anne Rogers of MLB.com reports.

    Loftin was scratched from Tuesday's lineup with the injury, but he's feeling better and is expected back in action imminently. The utility player is competing for a reserve role with the Royals and has had a nice spring, slashing .318/.423/.682.

  • Niko Kavadas 1B | LAA

    Angels' Niko Kavadas: Removed from big-league camp

    The Angels reassigned Kavadas to minor-league camp Wednesday.

    Kavadas logged 129 plate appearances with the Angels over the past two seasons, but after losing his spot on the 40-man roster back in September, he never appeared likely to break camp as a member of the Opening Day squad. The 27-year-old first baseman/designated hitter should settle into an everyday role at Triple-A Salt Lake to begin the season.

  • Josh Naylor 1B | SEA

    Mariners' Josh Naylor: Good to go for Team Canada

    Team Canada manager Ernie Whitt said that Naylor will be included in the lineup for Wednesday's matchup with Team Cuba in the World Baseball Classic after being hit on the right elbow in Tuesday's 3-2 win over Team Puerto Rico, Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca reports.

    Naylor was able to take his base after being hit in the third inning and ended up finishing 0-for-4 on the day. The 28-year-old apparently didn't experience any residual soreness overnight, so he'll be ready to go for the final game of pool play in a must-win contest for both Canada and Cuba.

  • Yandy Diaz DH | TB

    Rays' Yandy Diaz: Targeting Friday return

    Rays manager Kevin Cash said he expects Diaz (hand) to return to the Grapefruit League lineup Friday against the Red Sox, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

    A sore left hand has kept Diaz out of the lineup since March 3, but he had been scheduled to resume swinging a bat Tuesday, and Cash's comments suggest that the veteran first baseman responded well to the activity. Diaz could get in some more live at-bats Wednesday and/or Thursday before the Rays clear him to start Friday.

  • Nick Loftin 2B | KC

    Royals' Nick Loftin: Day-to-day with soreness

    Manager Matt Quatraro said Loftin was scratched Tuesday due to "general soreness," Anne Rogers of MLB.com reports.

    There was nothing else disclosed in relation to Loftin's status, but more information will be known Wednesday. The outfielder has been having a good spring with a .318/.423/.682 slash line in 26 plate appearances.

  • Tigers' Spencer Torkelson: Exits simulated game after HBP

    Torkelson was removed from a simulated game Tuesday after being hit on the right forearm by a pitch, Chris McCosky of The Detroit News reports.

    Torkelson received treatment from the trainer, but it's unclear whether he will need to be sent for testing. It's possible Torkelson's removal from the simulated game was purely precautionary, but the Tigers should offer more on the first baseman's status soon.

  • Triston Casas 1B | BOS

    Red Sox's Triston Casas: Won't play in spring training games

    Casas (knee) conceded Monday that he won't play in any Grapefruit League games, Tim Healey of The Boston Globe reports.

    Casas had hoped to play in some spring training contests before the schedule concluded, but he will run out of time. He has yet to do any baserunning or sliding, and a clearer timetable for his game readiness won't be available until he checks off those boxes. Casas is working his way back from patellar tendon surgery on his left knee, which he underwent back on May 4.

  • Tigers' Eduardo Valencia: Sent out to Triple-A

    The Tigers optioned Valencia to Triple-A Toledo on Monday, Evan Petzold of the Detroit Free Press reports.

    Valencia joined the Tigers for big-league camp but never appeared likely to make the Opening Day roster so long as Dillon Dingler and Jake Rogers emerged from spring training with their health intact. The 26-year-old backstop should get the chance to play fairly regularly at Toledo and could get his first big-league call-up if Dingler or Rogers misses time at any point.

  • White Sox's Munetaka Murakami: Two hits through three WBC games

    Murakami (fatigue) has gone 2-for-10 with two walks, three runs, one RBI and one stolen base in three games for Team Japan during the World Baseball Classic.

    Murakami was scratched from the White Sox's Cactus League lineup Feb. 26 due to a bout of fatigue, but as expected, he's been fully cleared to play in WBC games with Japan. The 26-year-old infielder will remain with Japan for the duration of its WBC run before rejoining the White Sox for the final week of spring training.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola