Skip to Main Content

MLB Player News

  • Bryan Baker RP | TB

    Orioles' Bryan Baker: Remains lock to make team

    Baker is a virtual lock to break camp with the Orioles, Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports.

    Baker was viewed as an option to close earlier in spring training, but with Felix Bautista on track to avoid the injured list, that is now unlikely. The 28-year-old Baker hasn't exactly done himself any favors, allowing eight earned runs on 10 hits and four walks over 4.2 innings through five Grapefruit League appearances. He was an effective middle reliever in 2022 with a 3.49 ERA, 1.23 WHIP and 76:26 K:BB over 69.2 innings, though he could see more setup work this year with Dillon Tate (elbow) out for the first month of the campaign.

  • Ryan Yarbrough RP | NYY

    Royals' Ryan Yarbrough: Throwing in minor-league game

    Yarbrough (groin) will pitch in a minor-league game Thursday, Anne Rogers of MLB.com reports.

    He had been slated to pitch in a game on the back fields Wednesday before that was washed out by rain. Yarbrough hasn't appeared in a Cactus League game since late February because of a groin injury, but the Royals don't anticipate it affecting his readiness for Opening Day.

  • Mariners' Prelander Berroa: Will be in Double-A rotation

    Manager Scott Servais said Thursday that Berroa will be part of the rotation at Double-A Arkansas to begin the season, Daniel Kramer of MLB.com reports.

    Berroa impressed this spring to the point that Servais also said he expects the hard-throwing right-hander to help the major-league club in 2023. That could be as a reliever, but Berroa will continue to develop as a starter for the time being.

  • Andres Munoz RP | SEA

    Mariners' Andres Munoz: Pitching in B game Thursday

    Munoz (foot) will make an appearance in a B game Thursday, Corey Brock of The Athletic reports.

    The plan has been for Munoz to make his Cactus League debut Friday and that presumably will still happen. Munoz has been brought along slowly in camp following October foot surgery, but he's healthy and this point and just needs to knock some rust off. He and Paul Sewald and Munoz look like 1A and 1B at closer, respectively, for Seattle this season.

  • Jackson Kowar RP | BAL

    Royals' Jackson Kowar: Role is undecided

    Kowar's role moving forward has yet to be determined by the Royals, Anne Rogers of MLB.com reports.

    Kowar was part of the Royals' camp cuts Wednesday and the team is still deciding whether to deploy him as a starter or reliever. The first-round pick will stay stretched out this spring, but it's possible the organization ultimately determines he's best suited as a reliever. Kowar, 26, has struggled in both roles in the majors so far with a 9.16 ERA as a reliever and an even uglier 11.85 mark as a starter.

  • Royals' Aroldis Chapman: Next appearance Thursday

    Chapman had his next scheduled Cactus League appearance pushed from Wednesday to Thursday due to wet conditions, Anne Rogers of MLB.com reports.

    Rainstorms blew threw Arizona on Wednesday afternoon and the Royals didn't want to risk an on-field mishap with their new high-leverage reliever. Chapman, signed to a one-year, $3.75 million contract in January, has recorded eight strikeouts through four innings this spring.

  • Royals' Max Castillo: Optioned to Omaha

    The Royals optioned Castillo to Triple-A Omaha on Wednesday.

    Castillo had been struggling mightily in Cactus League action this spring and can now be ruled out for an Opening Day roster spot in Kansas City. He'll presumably work out of the rotation at Omaha.

  • Angel Zerpa RP | MIL

    Royals' Angel Zerpa: Hits 60-day IL

    The Royals placed Zerpa (shoulder) on the 60-day injured list Wednesday.

    Zerpa hasn't thrown all spring due to the left shoulder issue, which the Royals are labeling as tendinopathy. He'll be out at least the first two months of the 2023 regular season and is likely to settle into the rotation at Triple-A Omaha once healthy.

  • Jackson Kowar RP | BAL

    Royals' Jackson Kowar: Optioned out to Triple-A

    The Royals optioned Kowar to Triple-A Omaha on Wednesday.

    Kowar had surrendered five earned runs on seven hits and three walks through five innings this spring in the Cactus League. The 26-year-old carries a ghastly 10.76 ERA in 46 career frames at the MLB level.

  • Royals' Max Castillo: Having trouble in spring

    Castillo has allowed seven earned runs over 5.2 innings across four Cactus League appearances this spring.

    Castillo started spring training in the mix for a spot in the rotation, but it doesn't look like he's earned such a role through his performance. He allowed two runs on a hit and a walk over one innings in Tuesday's game versus the Mariners. Castillo is just 23 years old, so it's completely reasonable to assume he could use a little more time at the Triple-A level before making the jump full-time to the majors.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola