Skip to Main Content

MLB Player News

  • Devin Mesoraco beats out Miguel Olivo

    With the Reds offering catcher Miguel Olivo a $100,000 retention bonus to accept a minor-league assignment, the move essentially means Devin Mesoraco will make the 25-man roster, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. Mesoraco is batting .361 (13 for 36) with two homers, three doubles and 11 RBI in 19 spring games.

    "It’s not like he didn’t deserve it," manager Dusty Baker said of Mesoraco. "He did play well. (Monday), he had a bad game, but other than that he’s been great. You hope he’s gotten to the point -- and he says he has -- where he’s mature enough to realize it’s only a bad game and forget about it, then work on it, which he did yesterday.”

  • Hector Sanchez appears ready for opening day

    Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Comcast SportsNet Bay Area that he remains confident catcher Hector Sanchez will be ready for opening day. Sanchez, who battled a shoulder injury earlier this spring, played in a simulated game Tuesday morning and was able to make clear throws to bases without any pain. 

  • Devin Mesoraco's spring won't make a difference

    Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco could have hit 20 homers this spring and I don't think it would have made much of a difference in terms of his playing-time projection in 2013. We all know Mesoraco has a world of potential and is considered the future behind the plate for the Reds. But "future" is the key word.

    While Mesoraco's spring surge might land him a spot on the 25-man roster, Ryan Hanigan's presence will prevent Mesoraco from being an everyday catcher, so don't move Mesoraco up Fantasy draft boards.

    Reds manager Dusty Baker is a huge fan of Hanigan's because of Hanigan's defensive presence. The Reds are built to contend, so Hanigan's handling of the team's pitching staff is going to play a huge part in how Baker splits up the playing time behind the plate. It would be beneficial for the Reds to keep Mesoraco on the roster and have him continue to acclimate playing at the major-league level, but the catcher position isn't all about offensive production and Baker knows that. Mesoraco is still best left for deeper NL-only and Rotisserie formats that start two catchers.

  • Devin Mesoraco making case for backup job

    Despite going 0 for 4 Monday, Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco is batting .361 this spring with two homers and 11 RBI. He has also slugged a solid .611 through 19 Cactus League games.

    Mesoraco is competing with non-roster invite Miguel Olivo for the backup job to Ryan Hanigan.

    "I feel like I came in with a good plan and came in prepared," Mesoraco told MLB.com. "I knew it was going to be a little bit different thing than last year. I had to prove myself. I'm happy with the way I've played and with the way things have turned out."

  • Braves option Christian Bethancourt to Double-A

    The Braves have optioned catcher Christian Bethancourt to Double-A.

    The 21-year-old hit .243/.275/.291 in 288 plate appearances at Double-A last season. Catchers Evan Gattis and Gerald Laird will likely begin the year on the 25-man roster until Brian McCann is ready to return.

  • Mets start clock on Travis d'Arnaud

    Mets top prospect Travis d'Arnaud was optioned to the team's minor-league camp on Sunday after an encouraging showing in Grapefruit League play. The highly touted catcher produced an impressive .355/.432/.484 slash line in 15 exhibition games, but New York can delay his first year of arbitration eligibility by a year if he's promoted later in the season, likely in mid-June.

    "He played very well," general manager Sandy Alderson told ESPN.com. "He met all of our expectations, which I think for the organization and Mets fans were fairly high. He did a very nice job."

  • Hector Sanchez could return next week

    Giants catcher Hector Sanchez resumed throwing and taking swings from the left side without reporting any shoulder pain, according to Comcast SportsNet Bay Area. Manager Bruce Bochy said that Sanchez is expected to play in an exhibition game in two or three days, barring any setbacks.

  • Hector Sanchez returns as a DH

    Giants catcher Hector Sanchez (shoulder) returned to action in a pinch-hit appearance Thursday against the Rockies in Cactus League action. Sanchez, who had not played since March 12, came on in the sixth inning as a DH and struck out swinging. He is hitting .200 with three RBI in 20 at-bats this spring.

  • Johnny Monell shipped to minor-league camp

    The Giants have re-assigned catcher Johnny Monell to minor-league camp. Monell went 10 for 20 with a home run and five RBI in 14 Cactus League apperances.

  • Still happy to stash Travis d'Arnaud

    Jon Heyman's estimation that the Mets' Travis d'Arnaud will spend only 1-3 months in the minors is kind of along the lines of what I've been thinking as I've drafted him as my second catcher in Rotisserie leagues and perhaps even my No. 1 in NL-only formats. Obviously, I'm hoping it's closer to the shorter end of that time frame, and sizing up the Mets' catcher situation, with John Buck at the top of the depth chart, I suspect it will be.

    I mean, it's not like d'Arnaud isn't ready. The Blue Jays were planning to call him up before he tore a knee ligament last June.

    Of course, Super 2 considerations could factor in to the decision, but given my newfound confidence in Tyler Flowers and Jason Castro as fallback options, stashing d'Arnaud is still worth the risk to me.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola