MLB Player News

  • Luke Voit 1B | NYM

    Padres' Luke Voit: Avoids arbitration with new team

    Voit and the Padres avoided arbitration Tuesday by agreeing to a one-year, $5.45 million deal, Kiley McDaniel of ESPN.com reports.

    The 31-year-old will remain under team control through the end of the 2024 season, as he didn't debut until his age-26 season and didn't become a full-time player until two years later. He should fill a major role at the heart of the Padres' lineup this season for as long as he can remain healthy, primarily serving as the designated hitter while potentially taking over for Eric Hosmer at first base against lefties.

  • Rhys Hoskins 1B | CLE

    Phillies' Rhys Hoskins: Avoids arbitration Tuesday

    Hoskins and the Phillies agreed Tuesday on a one-year, $7.7 million contract to avoid arbitration, Jim Salisbury of NBC Sports Philadelphia reports.

    Hoskins will receive just shy of a $3 million salary increase coming off a 2021 season in which he slashed .247/.334/.530 with 27 home runs, 71 RBI, 64 runs and three stolen bases over 443 plate appearances. His season ended in late August after he required core-muscle surgery, but Hoskins appears to be back to full strength at spring training.

  • Ryan O'Hearn RF | PIT

    Royals' Ryan O'Hearn: Avoids arbitration

    O'Hearn signed a one-year, $1.3 million contract with the Royals on Tuesday, avoiding arbitration, Lynn Worthy of The Kansas City Star reports.

    O'Hearn is expected to serve in a utility role with time at first base, right field and designated hitter in 2022. The 28-year-old posted a mediocre .225/.268/.369 slash line with nine home runs, 29 RBI and 23 runs scored in 84 games last season.

  • Tigers' Spencer Torkelson: Looking good at first

    Tigers manager A.J. Hinch said he's been impressed with Torkelson's defense at first base, Cody Stavenhagen of The Athletic reports.

    It appears that Torkelson won't be playing third base anymore and will focus entirely on first. So far, the results have been promising. "First base defense has always been overlooked until you see a good one, and then you see how that can impact an entire infield," Hinch said. While fantasy managers may prefer that Torkelson pick up additional eligibility, they won't complain if his strong play at first helps him make his MLB debut sooner rather than later. The 22-year-old has a decent chance to make the Opening Day roster, but even if he doesn't, he should still see plenty of action in the majors this season.

  • LaMonte Wade 1B | CHW

    Giants' LaMonte Wade: Shows power to open spring

    Wade went 2-for-2 with a solo home run, a double and two total runs scored in Saturday's 8-5 win over the Rockies.

    Wade became a key part of the Giants' offense last season with 18 home runs, 56 RBI and 52 runs scored in 109 games. He also slashed .253/.326/.482 across 381 plate appearances. Manager Gabe Kapler often deploys platoons around the diamond, and Wade is likely to see the strong side of one in right field this season. He's also able to play in the other two outfield positions and at first base, but he probably won't be an everyday option since he hit just .135 in 37 at-bats versus lefties last year.

  • Blue Jays' Vladimir Guerrero: Launches first homer of spring

    Guerrero went 1-for-2 with a solo home run in Saturday's Grapefruit League game against the Phillies.

    The 23-year-old slugger pulverized an Aaron Nola offering to left-center field in the first inning. Guerrero tied for the major-league lead in homers last season with 48 and finished tied for sixth with 111 RBI to go along with his stellar .311/.401/.601 slash line, and he appears on track to be ready to keep raking Opening Day in the heart of Toronto's potent lineup.

  • Dominic Smith DH | ATL

    Mets' Dominic Smith: Raking to begin spring

    Smith went 2-for-3 with a solo home run and an RBI triple in Saturday's Grapefruit League game against the Nationals.

    Getting the start at first base and batting third, Smith appeared to be locked in at the plate, and Deesha Thosar of The New York Daily News reports the 26-year-old attributes his early spring success to the work he put in this offseason on his swing. Smith studied the mechanics and approach of Hall of Fame talents like David Ortiz, Miguel Cabrera and Mike Trout, and he now feels more balanced at the plate and is staying back on pitches better. With that in mind, it's noteworthy Saturday's homer went to the opposite field off right-handed Josiah Gray, giving Smith some immediate validation that his work is paying off. Robinson Cano is the favorite to open the season as the Mets' designated hitter, but a big spring from Smith could allow him to muscle his way into the picture.

  • Dodgers' Freddie Freeman: Could make spring debut Tuesday

    Freeman could make his first appearance in a Cactus League game for the Dodgers early next week, possibly as soon as Tuesday, Fabian Ardaya of The Athletic reports.

    Freeman signed a six-year contract with Los Angeles on Wednesday, and it shouldn't take him long to get on the field for the first time with his new club. The All-Star first baseman figures to have plenty of opportunity to put up big numbers again this season hitting in the heart of the order for a stacked Dodgers lineup.

  • Garrett Cooper 1B | ATL

    Marlins' Garrett Cooper: Set to lose playing time

    Cooper looks likely to lose playing time after the Marlins' reported signing of Jorge Soler.

    Cooper looked like a lineup regular a day ago, but with the addition of Soler, the veteran has been pushed down the depth chart. Cooper now becomes part of a crowded Miami bench where he will compete for at-bats throughout the year.

  • Nick Pratto 1B | TEX

    Royals' Nick Pratto: Strong start to spring

    Pratto went 2-for-2 with a two-run home run in Friday's 5-5 tie against the Rangers.

    Pratto is one of the Royals' top prospects, and he's off to a good start in spring training. The first baseman slashed .259/.367/.634 with 21 home runs, 55 RBI, 54 runs scored and five stolen bases in 63 games after a midseason promotion to Triple-A Omaha last year. Much of the focus in Kansas City is on top overall prospect Bobby Witt, but Pratto's call to the big leagues could also come in 2022. He's got great power, but he also struck out at a 28.5 percent clip last year at the Triple-A level.

Around the Web Promoted by Taboola