NFL Player News
-
Jerick McKinnon RB | KC
49ers' Jerick McKinnon: On track for camp
Coach Kyle Shanahan said McKinnon (knee) has a chance to be full-go at the start of training camp, Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area reports.
McKinnon was held out of OTAs and minicamp to focus on rehab from the torn ACL he suffered Sept. 1 of last year. The 49ers apparently have confidence in his ability to contribute this season, as they kept him on the roster past April 1 when his $3.7 million base salary became guaranteed. Shanahan did caution that the 27-year-old running back may have his reps limited even if he's cleared for all activities at the start of camp. McKinnon will compete for snaps in a crowded backfield with Matt Breida (pectoral) and Tevin Coleman.
-
James Williams RB | DET
James Williams: Waived by Chiefs
Williams was let go by the Chiefs on Thursday.
Williams joined the Chiefs on April 28, but apparently didn't impress enough to earn a roster spot heading into training camp. The Washington State product was eying a backup role in Kansas City, and may be limited to the same situation if he finds another team prior to or during training camp in late July.
-
Nick Bawden RB | HOU
Lions' Nick Bawden: Sits out Thursday
Bawden (knee) didn't participate in Thursday's practice, Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports.
Bawden is still recovering from a torn ACL that kept him on injured reserve all of last season. The 2018 seventh-rounder missed OTAs as well as the team's minicamp. It's unclear if Bawden will be good to go come training camp in late July, but for now, he's the only fullback on the Lions' roster.
-
Miles Sanders RB | DAL
Eagles' Miles Sanders: Expected back for training camp
Head coach Doug Pederson expects Sanders (hamstring) to be ready for training camp, Martin Frank of The Delaware News Journal reports.
Sanders has seemingly been sidelined since the start of OTAs, which in turn has meant missing many valuable opportunities to flash his quickness and 4.49 speed before the pads come on. While that may have ensured Jordan Howard of having a leg up on the competition for the lead role entering training camp, Sanders presumably has still been able to learn the playbook and shouldn't have a problem carving out a significant role before Week 1, should the rookie maintain his health.
-
James Conner RB | ARI
Steelers' James Conner: Expecting shared workload
Conner expects the Steelers to spread out backfield work this season, Jonathan Bombulie of The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports. "I think it'll be spread out pretty evenly," Conner said. "I've seen [Benny Snell's] college tape. He's also learned the offense really quick. I know he'll be ready to play this year. Jaylen [Samuels], obviously, is going to make a lot of plays, too."
Conner's snap share topped 72 percent in 11 of his 13 games last season, including seven weeks at 84 percent or higher. It was a different story in Week 17 after he returned from a knee injury, with Samuels getting most of the playing time on passing downs. Conner still figures to take most of the carries in 2019, but it makes sense to remove him from the field in obvious passing situations, considering Samuels had 201 receptions for 1,851 yards and 19 touchdowns in his four-year career at NC State. It's harder to see how Snell might get involved, but the Steelers thought enough of him to invest a fourth-round pick in the 2019 draft.
-
Melvin Gordon RB | BAL
Chargers' Melvin Gordon: Wants new contract
Gordon said Tuesday that he's discussing a new contract with the Chargers, Eric D. Williams of ESPN.com reports.
Gordon is scheduled for a $5.6 million salary in 2019 under the fifth-year option on his rookie contract. He's participating in mandatory minicamp this week, but he sounded a bit hesitant when asked about the idea of playing in games without a new contract on deck. Gordon mentioned Todd Gurley and David Johnson as examples of running backs that have received long-term extensions. Both players have been more efficient than Gordon in terms of yards per carry and yards per target, but the 26-year-old displayed major progress in that area last season -- 5.1 YPC, 7.4 YPT -- after the Chargers finally improved their persistently troublesome offensive line.
-
Jonathan Williams RB | WAS
Colts' Jonathan Williams: Stuck in tough battle
Williams is competing with Spencer Ware and Jordan Wilkins for a role spelling Marlon Mack on early downs, Kevin Bowen of 1070 The Fan Indianapolis reports.
Williams is the early underdog, with Wilkins offering recent draft-pick status (2018 fifth round) and a rookie-year mark of 5.6 yards per carry. Meanwhile, Ware has an interesting combination of size, experience and pass-catching ability. Of course, the nature of the competition could change if the Indianapolis backfield deals with injuries during training camp and the preseason.
-
Jordan Wilkins RB | CLE
Colts' Jordan Wilkins: Competing with Ware and Williams
Wilkins is competing with Spencer Ware and Jonathan Williams for the No. 3 running-back job, Kevin Bowen of 1070 The Fan Indianapolis reports.
Coach Frank Reich said Marlon Mack will retain the lead role while Nyheim Hines continues to handle passing-down work. Wilkins was a fifth-round pick in 2018 and averaged 5.6 yards on 60 carries during his rookie season, but Ware has the edge in terms of size, experience and pass-catching acumen. Wilkins averaged just 5.3 yards on 16 receptions and lost two fumbles on 76 touches last season.
-
Marlon Mack RB | ARI
Colts' Marlon Mack: Poised for lead role
Coach Frank Reich said Tuesday that Mack is the Colts' "main guy" in the backfield, Kevin Bowen of 1070 The Fan Indianapolis reports.
Reich said Nyheim Hines will retain his role on passing downs, while Jordan Wilkins, Spencer Ware and Jonathan Williams are all competing for a job to spell Mack on early downs. It sounds like the same plan as last season, when Mack averaged 16.3 carries for 75.7 rushing yards per game, with 10 touchdowns (nine rushing) but just 17 receptions in 12 appearances. The 23-year-old running back seems to have made a full recovery from the hip injury he suffered during the playoffs, as he participated in mandatory minicamp this week.
-
Miles Sanders RB | DAL
Eagles' Miles Sanders: Will not participate in minicamp
Head coach Doug Pederson said Sanders (hamstring) will not practice this week, Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News reports.
This announcement confirms that Sanders will miss spring workouts in their entirety after being drafted by the Eagles in the second round. Sanders has been tending to a strained hamstring, and his next opportunity to take the practice field will be when training camp starts up in late July.